12. GOODNIGHT AND GO ☑️

CHAPTER TWELVE |
goodnight and go

***

"KAYLA! Kay! Stop, please!" Sam yelled as he chased Kayla down the hallway. She was rolling her eyes and walking as fast as her legs could take her. She was still mad at Sam for making Mercedes a cheater and not listening to her advice, but she missed him more than she liked to admit. After her fight with Rachel, she felt she didn't have anyone anymore.

"What?" she snapped, turning around so suddenly he almost ran into her body.

He panted, out of breath, "You... you were right. I shouldn't have kissed her. That's not, that isn't how I want to start our relationship."

"Okay..." she urged him to finish his apology.

"I—I have an idea of how to do it the right way. I just, I need your help." he gave her a pleading glance.

She mumbled to herself. "They always need my help." She pulled out the most authentic smile she could muster and said, "Okay. What do you need from me?"

"Mercedes leads the God squad and I know you're all into church and stuff like that, so I figured getting into something she's interested in might sway her. But I know next to nothing about Jesus and you're the pan Jesus, so like, can you join with me?" he rambled and for just a minute, Kayla almost laughed at him.

"While I appreciate that you're finally listening to me, I need you to promise me that you're not gonna treat me like that again because it sucked fighting with my best friend." she repeated. "Promise me, Sam."

He frowned and grabbed her hand, pulling her into his chest in a tight hug. "I promise I will never make you sad again. I hated fighting with you. I need my Magenta back."

She laughed tearily and pulled back. "Okay, I'll join the Jesus crew or whatever it's called. But it's all on you to make things up with Mercedes. I'm just there for moral support."

He grinned, pulling her in his arms and spinning her around in his grasp. "Thank you, thank you! I love you so much."

"I know, I know."

←⧪→

Kayla was sitting next to Sam during their first God squad meeting. It was basically an extension of the Celibacy club, so she couldn't help laughing when they first got there. Every year of her life she'd been going to this dumb club and she didn't really know why. At least this time she wasn't being forced by Rachel. She'd never liked going to these things. She was a very religious person, but it was something she didn't like to talk about because she felt like your religious affiliations didn't need a club. Besides, most of the Christian clubs just preached abstinence and wanted nothing to do with her because of her sexuality. Unfortunately for them she regularly had sex with a woman. Still, she felt a lot more comfortable with the idea that Mercedes was the president.

While Mercedes was introducing another new member named Joe, Sam noted, "So I noticed Shane isn't in the God squad?"

Kayla looked at him pointedly and quickly smacked his arm to shut him up. Mercedes looked at her with a relieved glance and she gave her a reassuring smile while she turned to the board to talk about a few philanthropy opportunities and Sam announced that they were going to start singing songs for couples to raise money and Kayla smiled. As quickly as all the rest of the New Directions shut down Mr. Schuester's idea when he brought it up to pay for costumes for Regionals, Kayla actually loved serenading people. She knew she was in the God squad now, but she was definitely going to buy one for Ollie. It was their first Valentine's day together and she wanted it to be special.

By the time the meeting ended, Sam was following Mercedes out the door and leaving her all alone. She rolled her eyes as she started grabbing her bag to leave. A tap on her shoulder made her turn around and she smiled when she saw Joe. She knew almost nothing about him other than Sam's nickname for him and he was homeschooled, but he seemed super nice. Just also super sheltered.