2. LUCKY ☑️

CHAPTER TWO |
lucky

***

KAYLA STILL WASN'T talking to Rachel by the time that the next week of school rolled around. She'd nodded to her in the halls or mumbled quick hellos as she passed her, but she still hadn't had a conversation with the diva that lasted more than a few milliseconds. She wasn't particularly ready to talk to her yet. There were far too many thoughts running around her mind to process—like how they had still yet to recruit a single member or the fact that she was still painstakingly in love with her bi-curious friend. All she wanted to do was hop out a window and break her legs, so she wouldn't have to see Rachel for awhile. Was that too much to ask for?

As if it wasn't enough that she was ignoring her best friend and their sorry excuse for an instructor was throwing a week dedicated to "adult contempary music," she just really missed Puck. He was about the only person who actually understood her and she trusted him with her life. She just wanted to be able to fall asleep on his shoulder while Mr. Slut raved on and on about Christopher Cross, but instead she was falling asleep on Artie's shoulder. Not that she didn't enjoy Artie's company. It was just a little bit awkward with Tina being with Mike now. They didn't have their threesome Saturday night dinners together anymore, so Kayla had to balance having two separate lunches with them.

Kayla started jostling awake at Artie throwing his hand in the air. He was probably praising something again. Her eyes fluttered open to see Kurt and Mr. Schue arguing about Britney Spears. Rachel was peering over at her and she tried to ignore her gaze, letting it fall on Brittany who was explaining to Mr. Schue that she didn't like Britney Spears.

"My middle name is Susan. I'm Brittany S. Pierce—Brittany Spierce. All my life I have lived in the shadow of Britney Spears and the fact is I will never be as talented as her, so I will not perform Britney."

Kayla's jaw dropped at the explanation and her expression matched almost every face in that room, except for Santana who was holding Brittany's hand and comforting her.

"There you have it. Sorry, Kurt. No Britney." Mr. Schue shrugged, turning back to the white board and writing down a bunch of obscure artists Kayla had never heard of.

←⧪→

Kayla walked into the choir room the next day to see Mr. Slut, Ms. Pillsbury and a man who could very well be John Stamos' doppelganger. The man was holding her guidance counselor's hand and she noticed her teacher glaring at their intertwined fingers and that's when Kayla knew—that man was Ms. Pillsbury's new boyfriend. The one she'd picked over Mr. Schuester.

Everyone knew there was something going on between them. They kissed after the kids won Sectionals. They started a relationship, but then he made out with Ms. Corcoran and they decided to break up. The hypocrisy was creeping up Mr. Schue's face because Ms. Pillsbury wasn't allowed to be with anyone else, but of course he was. Ever since he separated from his wife, he'd been spiraling.

"Alright guys. Carl has some dental hygiene spiel. Listen up." Mr. Schue was still glaring at the couple as he clapped his hands together to get everyone's attention.

The man smiled and pulled out of a packet of gum, handing them out to everyone individually as he introduced himself. "Hi guys. I'm Carl. I've been asked to come assess the dental hygiene here at McKinley. So I just handed out some gum. Chew that up. If it doesn't turn your teeth blue, you're good to go."

Everyone chewed up the gum and immediately Kayla saw a few blue teeth, but nothing compared to Brittany's mouth as a bunch of excuses flew around the room.

"I was pretty sure Dr. Pepper was a dentist."

"I think I'd actually be able to brush my teeth if I could see myself in the mirror."