8. BREAKAWAY ☑️

CHAPTER EIGHT |
breakaway

***

"KAYLA, C'MON. Just stop for a second!" Jake's voice called after her from across the parking lot. "You can't ignore me forever."

At his words, she turned around aggressively with a deepseated glare on her face and suddenly her finger was poking into his albeit very muscled chest.

"Here's the thing, Jacob, I can ignore you all I want, but I'm not going to anymore. You are so infuriating! You had the best thing in the world and you let her go because she wouldn't put out for you? You cheat on said best thing in the world and almost knock up the other girl. You take no responsibility for your actions, and God, I really thought you changed. I really thought you wanted to be better than Puck, but now you're just following in his footsteps."

Jake glared. "Don't talk about my brother like that."

She laughed breathlessly. "Don't you get it? I know him better than you do and I love him, but he's made a lot of mistakes and the minute he found out you were his brother, he made me promise to protect you, but I can't do that. Not anymore. I love you and I love your brother, but Marley matters more. Hell, even Bree matters more because you strung her along and now she's alone. And frankly, that's all I have to say to you, so if you'll excuse me, I think I'd like to get back to ignoring you." she turned away and entered the school, ignoring the fact that Jake's head was hung in shame. She didn't have the patience to deal with it anymore.

←⧪→

"Please, Kitty's obviously using you for some kind of sick charity project and you're using her too. Maybe that's what your speech about! How you're making a sad, last ditch effort to be popular by dating McKinley's biggest bitch."

The cursing pulled Kayla out of her bookbag and she looked to the other end of the hallway where Artie and Tina were arguing. She frowned, moving closer to hear Artie's last words.

"Actually, Tina, you're McKinley's biggest bitch, and I'm gonna win this!"

With that, he rolled away, leaving Tina with her arms crossed. Kayla felt a pang in her heart at her friends' words. From the moment they all met, Kayla had never really seen Tina and Artie fight. Not even after their breakup. They were that one example of the perfect exes who managed to stay friends. They never really had any problems and of course Kayla knew there might be some tension with them both being up for valedictorian, but she never imagined Tina being so mean.

Lately things had been smooth sailing with her and Tina. She felt like Tina was finally getting back to her old self. Maybe not goth Tina, but at least pre-breakup Tina. Ever since Regionals, she had started changing for the better and Kayla was excited for her, but the way she was treating Artie right now, that was not the Tina she knew and loved.

"T!"

Tina turned around when her voice was called and Kayla was suddenly in front of her. She changed her posture, faking a bright smile, but Kayla wasn't dumb.

Kayla gave her a dry look. "You have no right to ask Artie to throw the debate for you."

"But I—" Kayla cut her off, shaking her head.

"No. I understand you're upset about Brown and I love you with my whole heart, but you can't take that out on Artie. You guys are best friends. We've all been best friends from day one and he deserves a lot better from you. Kitty does love him. I've seen it with my own eyes and considering you dated him too, you have no right to call him a charity case and you know that."

Tina bowed her head, sighing as she uncrossed her arms. "I... I know. I was mean. I just... nothing ever goes right for me, Kay."

Kayla grabbed the hand fallen to Tina's side and squeezed it assuringly. "I know you think that, but you have so much to be grateful for, T, and with me, you will never be alone. But I think he deserves an apology."