4. BATTLEFIELD ☑️

CHAPTER FOUR |
battlefield

***

KAYLA WAS WALKING Hudson when she got the text from Dave. All it said was emergency in all caps and she basically hauled ass to his new apartment which really wasn't that far from their new place. She helped Dave and Blaine pick out a place together.

The door was wide open when she got there and everybody in the world was in the apartment, apparently. Blaine, Kurt, and Rachel had just traveled back to the bedroom while Dave was standing on a stool and holding a chair up in the air, a tremble on his lip.

"Dave, honey! You're okay. It's all okay." Kayla says, letting go of Hudson's leash to get her friend to calm down.

She hears Blaine mumble something about a bear and then Dave repeats the phrase with a shriek. "Why is there a bear in here?"

Kayla raised an eyebrow. "A bear? Oh no."

"Of course it's an 'oh no'! Why is there a bear in here?" She didn't know Dave's voice could pitch that high.

"Kurt?" she draws out, stepping back into the bedroom for the other man. He meets her halfway.

"Last week Sue asked her secretary where she could get a bear on the black market? Do you think..."

Kurt cuts her off. "It was Sue. She's trying to get Blaine and I back together."

Kayla sighs, clutching Hudson's leash and frowning. "I hate it here."

Kurt replies. "You and me both." But Kayla is pretty sure that has less to do with Sue and more to do with the Dave and Blaine of it all.

←⧪→

Kayla walks into the locker room after she's finished with the Cheerios practice. Sam is folding towels at the desk and she passes Sue on the way out, pushing something into her pocket and making awkward eye contact with her. That smells trouble about fifty miles away and she turns back to Sam with concern.

"What did Sue want?" Kayla asks as she walks into the room.

Sam stops folding for a moment, his head tilting to the side with confusion. "I actually don't remember. Anyway, what's up?"

"Nothing much. Rachel wants me to come to the auditorium later to show off her new piano skills. Did you want to join me?" she asks.

Sam suddenly perks up and speaks almost animatedly. "No thanks. I have to work on some plays. You look really pretty today, by the way."

She looks down at her regular polo and khaki uniform, much like the one Sam wears, that she wears every day and furrows her eyebrows. She hasn't done her makeup. She barely brushed her hair this morning, but she looks up at him with a little smile. "Oh. Uh, thanks. I—I gotta go, but I'll see you tonight?"

"Yep," he says, his smile far more bright than she was used to for a Tuesday afternoon. "I'm making your favorite pizza tonight."

She gives him a thumbs motion, though she's ultimately just very confused. She leaves the room and heads to the auditorium, trying to leave all concerns for Sam out as she goes to support Rachel. She enters at the stage door, watching Rachel's side profile as she grumbles and attempts to play the right notes, but every press comes out flat or sharp and makes Kayla's ears ring in the process.

"You okay?" Kayla calls out and those sad brown eyes lock on her to form a more promising smile.

Rachel sighs, looking back at her sheet music. "Me and Blaine wrote this song a little while back and I was trying to play it, but it's not working."