15. LIKE A PRAYER ☑️

CHAPTER FIFTEEN |
like a prayer

***

"WHAT DO YOU do if a guy gets mad at you for saying no?" Rachel confided in all the girls right before glee practice. Kayla frowned at Rachel's confession. It was obvious she was talking about her and Jesse and even though Kayla wasn't a fan of the idea of Rachel kissing anyone other than her, she was dealing with her feelings (mainly by binge watching her favorite movie musicals and eating icing, but no one needed to know that).

Santana said off the cuff, "Just never say no."

Kayla snorted. That was horrible advice, but she appreciated the comedic timing of it.

Mercedes chuckled, "I can't wait to make a guy mad for saying no." Kayla high-fived her.

Sex had always been a tough subject for Kayla. It's not like she was a prude. She wasn't waiting for marriage or even the perfect person to lose it to. It was just timing. A lot of girls her age had already lost their virginity. Hell, some of them had already started families, but that wasn't Kayla. She was more curious about the action. Would it be with a boy or a girl, someone non-binary? Would it be a one night stand or with her soulmate? For a while, she really thought she was going to lose it to Rachel. Through discovering her feelings for the diva, she hadn't really thought of having sex with her, but after that kiss, Kayla had basically planned out a whole life with her—only for it to all come crashing down a few days after.

She was still pretty bitter about it.

Mr. Schue quickly walked over to the group, asking if the guys had always been so rude after each girl started talking about the disrespect they'd suffered by the hands of the glee boys. He seemed to be once again concocting a lesson plan at the last minute, but considering his wife had been faking her pregnancy and he was stuck in between the drama of his future ex-wife and his feelings for Ms. Pillsbury, Kayla was giving him the benefit of the doubt this week.

As the group quickly dispersed, Rachel took her seat next to Kayla in the back. Kayla poked her shoulder and told her, "You know, I'd never force you to do something you weren't comfortable with."

Rachel looked down, cheeks red with embarrassment. "I know you wouldn't. And I'm sorry for lying about breaking up with Jesse. You deserve nothing but the truth."

Kayla shook her head, waving off her best friend. "It's okay. I'll get over it. I just want you to be happy."

She didn't. She wanted Rachel to be happy with her.

←⧪→

The day after, Rachel told Kayla that she was thinking of finally giving it up to Jesse. Kayla wanted to tell her that it was a mistake, but she knew she couldn't tell Rachel what to do with her body. Even if she thought Jesse was pressuring Rachel, she had no say. This Rachel's choice and hers alone. Rachel was ready to seal the deal when Jesse came into the choir room with transfer papers. Kayla was almost positive her legs opened right then and there.

"What the hell is he doing here?" Kayla huffed, crossing her arms over her chest. She had yet to talk to Jesse since Rachel picked him over her, but she already knew she wasn't a fan. A chorus of similar reactions flew around the choir room. Literally no one in this room liked Jesse, with the exception of Rachel.

"Rachel, I could never be with you fully if I stayed on the opposing team and you mean more to me than a fourth consecutive national title." Jesse explained, clutching his books to his side. There was the slightest bit of arrogance to him that made him so interesting. He was also quite handsome. Kayla understood why Rachel was into him, but found it hard to get past his terrible personality.