15. CIRCLE THE DRAIN ☑️

CHAPTER FIFTEEN |
circle the drain

***

KAYLA AND FINN were lounging around on her bed the last day of her suspension. Turns out Principal Figgins didn't take too kindly to her hitting the fuck out of Kitty, but what could you do? What's done is done and she didn't regret it at all. That stupid bitch had it coming to her. She hoped she wouldn't be able to be a base for weeks with the black eye she gave her.

Finn fell down on the bed with an overdramatic sigh. "He hates me, Kay. Hates me."

"I mean, you did kiss his fiancé and while I think it's super weird that you're besties with a thirty eight year old man, you owe to him to give him some time to process it." Kayla said, laying down next to him.

Finn sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose in frustration. "I don't even know why I did it!"

Kayla sat up on her elbow. "Look, you still love Rachel, right?"

He nodded, looking at her as if it was the most obvious statement in the world (and really, of course it was).

She drew out her response. "Okay, then maybe you kissed Miss Pillsbury because you were reeling from the Rachel and Brody debacle and you were lonely. Don't beat yourself up over that. I've done stupid stuff too."

"Like punching Kitty in the hallway?" he proposed.

She snorted. "No. That bitch deserved it. More like sleeping with Ollie at the wedding."

Finn groaned. "Dude, what did you do that for?"

"I don't know. But what's done is done. I'm not gonna think about it anymore."

Silence fell over them for a few seconds before Finn popped up with a question. "Wait, did you cheat on Ryder?"

Kayla grimaced, trying to figure out how the hell to explain herself without outing Ryder's plan. Finally she gave up, stating, "Okay, you can't tell anyone, but Ryder and I weren't really together..."

"Huh?" Finn's face was filled with confusion in that adorable doofus air he had about him.

She sighed. "He wanted to make Marley jealous, so I offered to be his fake girlfriend."

"You did what?" Kayla's head turned to her open bedroom door when she realized it wasn't Finn speaking and her head dropped to her lap when she saw Sam standing in the doorframe with a bag of her favorite donuts.

Finn's eyes scanned back and forth between Kayla and Sam before he spoke. "I'm just gonna give you guys some space..."

Finn quickly scrambled out of the room, pushing past Sam but not without snatching the donuts out of his hand and closing the door behind him. Kayla looked up at him with a guilty gaze. It was embarrassing to admit that Ryder was her fake boyfriend. It made her feel desperate to admit it aloud.

"So," she quipped awkwardly. The tension in the room was palpable as Sam slowly made his way over to her bed and sat down with her.

"Why were you fake dating Ryder?" he asked, peering into her eyes as if he could find an answer there.

"It's um," she took a gulp. "It's complicated."

"How complicated can it be? You said he asked you to help make Marley jealous, right?" Kayla nodded.

He continued. "Okay, I just don't get what you got out of it."

"A boyfriend." She saw the bewildered confusion in his eyes. "Even though it wasn't real, I got to have somebody who wanted to be with me even if it was fake. Somebody to dance with at Sadie Hawkins, someone to kiss me when I was upset. It was all the easy parts of a relationship without all the messy feelings."