1. ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE ☑️

CHAPTER ONE |
all you need is love

***

REMEMBER WHEN KAYLA went on spring break, certain that finally she and Sam could actually be together? Yeah, that didn't work out. They didn't really speak to each other at all during break which Kayla could have written off as them just being busy. She knew Sam had traveled back to Kentucky to be with his family for the two weeks and as much as he missed them, she was not going to be the one to interrupt his family time, so she hadn't texted him at all. She just assumed that come Monday morning, she'd be able to walk down the hall and kiss Sam at his locker, but he made it clear right away that he wasn't ready for that—that he wasn't ready for them to be official.

Kayla grinned when she walked into McKinley the first day back. She immediately spotted Sam at his locker, talking to Blaine and Tina enthusiastically.

"Sammy!" she exclaimed happily, wrapping her arms around Sam's waist from behind. He tensed in her grip and gave Tina and Blaine a look as if to tell them they needed a moment alone and after they were gone, Sam was turning around with a guilty half-smile.

"What?" she laughed nervously, taking in his expression.

Sam sighed, barely able to look her in the eye. "I've been, um, I've been thinking and I just... I love you. Like, a lot. But I—I don't want to just hop into one relationship as soon as I've gotten out of one."

"Oh."

Sam frowned, seeing the way Kayla's face fell at his words and he stuttered, trying to save face. "I—I just don't want this to end up being a rebound because I didn't give myself time to process between girlfriends. And you mean more to me that anything. I don't want to ruin this. Is that okay?"

His hand reached out to grab her hand and she looked down at the grasp as he linked his fingers through hers, but she didn't squeeze back or hold his hand properly. It felt like someone had swept the rug right under her and she was suddenly laying face down on the ground with a broken nose. Her breath was caught in her throat and it was like she couldn't breathe, but just like she was so used to, she put on a brave face and nodded. She was never allowed to have the fairy tale ending. How dare she think for a second that maybe things would work out for her?

"Yeah. Um, that's fine. Take all the time you need." she mumbled, blinking back her tears as Sam pulled her into a tight hug and kissed her cheek. Maybe if she pushed their conversation to the back of her mind, she could pretend this was just her boyfriend hugging her, but she couldn't. He wasn't her boyfriend and she felt like a damn fool because of it.

When Sam pulled back with a genuine smile on his face, she braved her best one, holding her arms around her waist so as not to burst into tears right in front of him. And as Sam walked away, promising to buy her extra tater tots at lunch, she felt the urge to throw up. She didn't think she could even attempt eating right now if she forced herself. Not when it felt like her heart was caught in her throat and her contacts might pop out from the sheer amount of crying she was about to endure.

And when the halls cleared out, she let herself lean her forehead against Sam's locker and finally cry.

←⧪→

Kayla was walking around the carnival aimlessly. She was basically forced to come by the efforts of Kitty. Somehow they'd managed to start becoming friends and it was a nice feeling knowing she didn't have to punch her anymore. She was keeping her bitchy comments to a minimum. She was also the only person who seemed to notice something was wrong with Kayla. Kitty had just gotten off the Thunder Dome with Artie and she frowned, walking up to Kayla who was sitting on a park bench and looking at the ground with her arms wrapped around her waist.