20. GHOST OF YOU ☑️

CHAPTER TWENTY |
ghost of you

***

MINUTES INTO MONDAY morning, everyone found out that Coach Sylvester's sister had died. She quickly kicked Becky off the Cheerios which Kayla knew had everything to do with the fact that Becky just reminded her of Jean. They both had down syndrome and Sue cared deeply for both of them. Kayla empathized. Sue was a horrible person ninety eight percent of the time, but underneath the constant berating and crude humor, she had a soft side that almost no one ever saw. She didn't know why she felt bad for Sue. The woman had done absolutely nothing for her or her friends. She gave her the nickname Rexy and made fun of her sexuality constantly. Still, she understood what it was like to lose someone you love. She knew her mother didn't have much time left and she always had her ringer on now, terrified for the moment that she'd get the call that Kris had died.

Her relationship with her birth mother was complicated. A part of her still hated the woman because she had severely messed Kayla up. How did you forgive someone you watched you be abused and do nothing about it? She had to remind herself that it was a different time and things had changed. Kris was different now. She was sick and she wasn't getting any better. Maybe she forgave her solely because she knew her mother was dying, but seeing her so broken made her remember the good times she had with her mother. They used to sit on the hammock together and swing aimlessly while they perused through books. Her mom fostered her love for poetry which then turned into a love for music and lyrics. She was the one that taught her how to play piano. That was the Kris she wanted to remember.

Finn, Kurt, and Kayla all lined up in front of Sue in her office. They were really the only glee kids who understood what she was going through. They both had dead parents and Kayla was in sick parent purgatory. She didn't really want to think about that fact, but it was hard to ignore as Kurt tried to get Sue to let them plan Jean's service. The coach seemed completely disinterested with the idea of her sister's funeral, so she immediately agreed and quickly kicked them all out of her office.

"That was surprisingly easy." Finn noted as they all started walking back to the choir room. Kayla and Kurt nodded in agreement. Everyone grieved differently and if this was how Sue wanted to do it, they wouldn't complain.

As they all settled into their seats, Kayla found her way over to Sam who was sitting next to Mercedes. A small grin reached her lips as she looked at the two conversing with each other. They had really started becoming comfortable with one another and Kayla loved that for them. Mercedes had been single for as long as she had known her (except for that week she dated Puck) and Sam was fairly unlucky in love. They fit well and Kayla was rooting for them. Wanting to give them some space, she sat in front of them next to Artie.

Mr. Schuester clapped to get everyone's attention and quickly began announcing their next big plans. "Okay guys. Nationals are in two weeks! To give us a little boost, I enlisted an old friend that might be able to help us defeat Vocal Adrenaline this year. Jesse St. James!"

Jesse jogged in with a grin and a wave, his gaze almost directly on Rachel the entire time. From what Rachel had told her, she still hadn't talked him or Finn since their little fist fight at prom. Kayla didn't blame her. That was totally embarrassing and she definitely wouldn't want to be caught in the middle of that.

"The reason Vocal Adrenaline is so amazing is because we choose one person and work the performance around them, so we'll be holding auditions for the solo after school today!" Jesse explained. His eyes turned over to Kayla and she looked to the ground.

She wanted to audition. She'd love to have a solo, but she didn't particularly believe she was in the mental capacity to do it right now. She was still reeling from the breakup and trying to balance helping out her mom. Still, that look from Jesse made her think. Back when they were friends, he was one of the few people who actually supported her and made her feel like her voice mattered. She missed his support. Maybe she hadn't lost it.