3. I WANNA SEX YOU UP ☑️

CHAPTER THREE |
i wanna sex you up

***

KAYLA SMILES AS she enters the church doors. Today would be the first day that her and her family would be going to church since they moved to Lima. The Garretts were very big on religion and where to practice their faith. As much as most queer teenagers would not agree, Kayla loves going to church. Her sexuality is a big part of why it took them so long to find one. A lot of religious institutions didn't agree with a gay congregation, but Kayla thinks she could be happy here.

As her parents introduce themselves to the pastor before the service, Kayla walks around to get a sense of the area. That's when she sees a friendly face.

"Mercedes." Kayla smiles, looking at the vocal legend in front of her. She's wearing a robe, so Kayla assumes that she must be part of the choir.

"Kayla, what are you doing here?" Mercedes asks in surprise. Though the two get along in glee club, they aren't particularly friends. They haven't taken the time to get to know one another, but being in the same church seems like a good first step.

"This is my church. Well, it's our first service, but this is where my family goes now." Kayla admits.

Mercedes smiles. She's happy to have someone from her school that goes to her church. Though the congregation is mainly black, they have a few white folks and Mercedes is proud to have a fellow glee clubber in their midst.

Kayla's parents walk up to her with Aaron. "Kay, who's this?"

Kayla watches as Mercedes' face rings through in shock, looking at her parents. She chuckles. She's used to this reaction. She and Aaron are adopted. Their parents are black. Most people are surprised when she points them out as her parents.

"I'm adopted. In case it wasn't obvious." Kayla whispers to Mercedes.

"Mom, dad, this is Mercedes. We're in glee club together." Kayla announces to her parents. They greet Mercedes with kind eyes.

Just as they all start engaging in conversation about the glee club, the pastor calls for Mercedes. She nods to him and excuses herself. The service is about to start, which means that she has to start singing her praises.

And as Kayla watches Mercedes belt out a hymn, she is in awe. She has always known how talented Rachel is, but she's never really seen Mercedes' voice up front like this. Her tone is gorgeous and she keeps wondering how on Earth Mr. Schue isn't giving her any solos. She deserves them even more than Kayla does.

←⧪→

The next day at glee practice, Mr. Schue is teaching the group choreography for a new number. The steps are simple, sure, but they work. Rachel just has to go and open her big mouth.

"Mr. Schuester, we need a new choreographer. These steps will never help us compete against Vocal Adrenaline. Let's face it, as much as you're a great vocal coach, you're not a trained choreographer. We need Dakota Stanley." Rachel explains, head held high as she crushes their teacher's spirits.

"Who's Dakota Stanley?" Mr. Schue asks in an offended voice, arms crossed over his chest.

"The choreographer for Vocal Adrenaline. He even understudied on Broadway."

Mr. Schuester scoffs, "Just because he understudied doesn't mean he ever performed."

Quinn perks up, "Neither did you, Mr. Schue. That's why you're a teacher, right?"

Kayla coughs into her hand in surprise. She was not expecting that amount of attitude to come up during this meeting. She was really hoping that one day she'd be able to have a nice regular practice without all hell breaking loose, but today was obviously not that day.