3. YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND ☑️

CHAPTER THREE |
you've got a friend

***

KAYLA'S JAW IS relatively on the floor as she watches Rachel and Kurt squabble over this week's lesson in front of their students. The idea is inspired to say the least. Carole King and Alanis Morissette, though vastly different, paved the way for break up culture in music and Kayla wouldn't be the first to admit that she'd blasted You Oughta Know when Rachel started dating Jesse. Now she was moving into So Far Away territory.

"Wait, I'm confused. What is it exactly that you want us to do?" Jane asks with confusion written all over her face.

Rachel and Kurt try to explain it again, but it's still falling on deaf ears, so Kayla pats Jane's shoulder and says, "A Carole-Alanis mashup, honey."

Jane nods in realization and gives Kayla a warm smile. She's happy the new glee club is rounding it. Of course they only have four members, but both Jane, Roderick, and the McCarthy twins are bursting at the seams with talent and Kayla has high hopes for them.

When class dismisses and Kurt has rushed out in a tizzy, probably hauling ass to the Lima Bean for caffeine, Kayla watches Rachel lean against the white board with a groan. She gives a sympathetic smile and settles in next to her, nudging her shoulder.

"Hey you." Kayla gives a warm smile that spreads through Rachel's body and she manages to return the gesture.

Rachel just stares at her for a minute before she looks away with a sigh. "We suck at this teaching thing, don't we?"

"Well..." Kayla's tone pitches up in false assurance. "Okay, maybe not a great start, but fun fact, Finn's first time wasn't pretty either."

Rachel smiles. "What did he do?"

"His first idea was to sing Foreigner songs wearing the colors of all the United Nations." Kayla admitted and she watched as Rachel broke out into chuckles, throwing her head back.

"Please tell me you're joking."

"Everyone else thought he was, but I knew he was serious just by that look on his face." Kayla chuckles, thinking back to that memory.

She remembered how nervous Finn had been that week. He was just so sure he wasn't cut out for this teaching thing and he wound up being extraordinary at it. She wished she could have gotten to see him be a real certified teacher. She wanted so badly to see what he could've done. Everything was just starting to fall into place when he died. It was one of her most fond memories watching him teach. That week brought out a lot in them. It also brought out one of Finn's wishes that she wasn't sure she'd be able to make happen.

If Rachel and I never get back together, I wouldn't mind if she ended up with you.

She could hear his voice so clearly. She could see that silly smile on his face and she wanted to be with Rachel. She wanted to be the one to heal her heart again, but they'd been through this game a million times already. She didn't think she deserved Rachel anymore and she just couldn't serve Finn's wishes.

"Hey," Rachel draws out concern, wiping at a stray tear falling down Kayla's cheek.

She sniffles in response, putting on her best face. "Sorry. Just missing him a little bit."

"Yeah, me too." Rachel quips, looking down at the ground. "Do you think he's mad we got together?"

Kayla takes a deep breath. She knows she should tell Rachel that Finn approved of them, but at the same time it felt like giving an out. She worried that if she told Rachel that that they would get back together, not because they wanted to be together but because of her withstanding feelings for Finn. If they ever made it work, she wanted it to be on their own terms. She wanted Rachel to choose her because she loved her, not because it would make Finn happy.