1. DIE FROM A BROKEN HEART ☑️

CHAPTER ONE |
die from a broken heart

***

KAYLA GARRETT WANDERS the hallways of McKinley High School instead of heading to lunch like a normal person. Kayla has always found her lunch period to be the most arbitrary waste of her time. The food is hardly edible and she isn't much for nasty food entering her stomach. Instead of watching her classmates devour the latest sloppy joe, Kayla is standing in front of the announcement board. It's littered with a bunch of sign up sheets for clubs she has no interest in joining. Only one clipboard catches her eye and that's the list for the glee club.

Kayla was known as one of the few singers in her old school. She was the one always in the school play and representing in the talent shows. However, it's different here. She is a freshman. No one really pays any attention to freshmen. Certainly not singing freshmen, so Kayla hasn't exactly gotten the opportunity to show off her skills. Only one person at this school knows what her mouth can do and she groans as she sees that exact name on the list.

Rachel Berry 🌟

Kayla's rivalry with Rachel has been going on for many months now. Kayla had at one point tried to join the old glee club run by Sandy Ryerson, but Rachel threatened her when she heard her practicing a song in the bathroom after school. Since then, the two have been less than friendly. She hates Rachel with a distinct passion and she isn't a fan of having to fight for the limelight, so she decides it's finally time to buck up and go against the one and only Rachel Berry. She signs her name and peels off the sticker right next to Rachel's signature.

←⧪→

Today is glee club auditions. Kayla learned that Mr. Schuester was the teacher, so she had no doubt that she'd make the team as he was kind of a bit of a pushover and she doubted he was going to turn anyone away, but despite that, she still feels this indescribable urge to take out the competition. This is different from anything that existed in her old school. She didn't have competition there. Here, it's all she has.

She got to her audition a little bit early and was standing backstage waiting her turn. Rachel was about to go on and then it would be her turn. Rachel didn't like that she was listening in on her audition, it seemed.

"This is a closed audition, Garrett. Only for people with talent." Rachel sneers as she looks at the pretty brunette.

Kayla smirks, crossing her arms over her chest, "Funny that you're auditioning then."

Rachel rolls her eyes. She isn't a fan of Kayla's ability to bite back great comebacks almost as much as she hates how damn talented she was. "I get that you're jealous of my obvious leading lady quality, but this obsession with me really has to stop."

Kayla steps closer to the older girl and spits, "As much as you try to deny it, I'm just as talented as you and that scares you. But break a leg,"

And as Rachel stomps away and onto the stage, Kayla mumbles, "Literally."

Kayla stands on the side of the stage next to a girl with blue streaks in her hair and a boy in a wheelchair. She doesn't know their names, but she's seen them around before. She's pretty sure they're also freshmen.

"I'm Kayla." she introduces herself to the ragtag team before her, trying to tune out Rachel singing yet another popular Broadway show tune and her impeding jealousy that she still sounds fabulous.

"I'm Artie." the boy smiles, shaking Kayla's hand. The girl attempts to say her name, but can only stutter, so Artie replies for her.

"This is Tina."

Just as Kayla is about to strike up conversation about Tina's cool hair, her name is called for her audition. She watches Rachel walk past her and hit her shoulder in an attempt to scare her, but Kayla isn't scared of anything. Especially not a four foot Broadway-obsessed woodland creature.