ten: harry styles & zayn malik

*Charli POV*

"Can I ask you something, Charli?"

"Uh, yeah? I mean, I guess so," I mumbled. What would Harry want to ask me?

"Do you ever miss me?"

I just sat there, not speaking; but replaying the words he just spoke. 'Do you ever miss me?'

Do I miss Harry? Harry is... Well, Harry was one of my best friends.

We haven't really spent much, if any, time together since I started dating Zayn in my sophomore year.

I could always count on him, and he could always count on me.

If I needed to talk, Harry was there. If I needed to cry, Harry was there. If I needed anything, I went to Harry. That was it.

It was as if I had known him my entire life; just like Brooke, who I actually had known my entire life. In reality, it was less than twelve months I had known him. Now he's just... Harry. The green eyed, dimpled, curly haired boy I used to spend almost all my free time with.

When I met Zayn at that Bonfire, I never expected things to turn out the way they did. I didn't plan on just ditching Harry for him. Harry never did anything wrong. It was me who did wrong. I dropped everything to spend almost every minute of every day with Zayn. I barely spoke to Brooke during the first six months we were dating.

Hell, I barely spoke to my grandparents. It wasn't until they sat me down one day, and told me that if I didn't for a lack of better words "get my shit sorted out", that they would forbid me from seeing him. They couldn't do that. I couldn't stay away from Zayn.

He means everything to me. But I turned my back on everyone I loved in my life. I needed to get it sorted out. I hated that fact. And Zayn knows it.

It was something I had to live with. It was something that I didn't want to live with. That wasn't me. I don't know who that girl is. I had never done anything like that in my life. I don't know what it was about Zayn that made me forget everyone in my life, to only focus all of my attention on him.

I had invited him over one night. He didn't know what was coming. I felt heartless.

I still remember the look on his face when I opened the door. I was sobbing. His expression broke my heart into a million pieces.

"You're not breaking up with me, are you?" he asked.

"That wasn't my plan to...." I confessed.

"What's wrong then?" he asked, entering the house and closing the door. Gram and Gramps had gone out to dinner. We were alone.

It was difficult. One of the most difficult things I've gone through in my life, other than losing my parents. That, and my sister moving away.

"I think... I think we should take a break."

"So, you are breaking up with me?" he asked, eyes starting to water. "Was it something I did?"

"No. I mean, not intentionally... It's just... I..." I sobbed, lunging forward and clinging to his body like my life depended on it. Like he would disappear if I let go. "I just..."

"What is it?" he asked, leading me into the living room, and sitting down on one of the couches. "What's wrong?"

I looked up at him. The utter confusion was written all over his face. He looked as if he would burst out in tears at any second, but didn't. "I-I just... I need some time."