Chapter 13 - Aurora

I've got a lot of reads over the weekend! Thanks so much! I wasn't expecting anyone to read this! So that was a real surprise! I hope you enjoy this little chapter!
Lx
***

I wake up before him the next morning, he's sound asleep beside me, it's late morning, I've slept later than I usually do.

His arm is draped across my back, I'm laying on my stomach, I give myself a few seconds to wake up before I slowly move out of the bed, being careful not to wake him up. I slip on my underwear and the top I had on last night as quietly as I can, as I'm doing so I glance out of the window, we forgot to shut the curtains last night, I think I'm seeing things, but as I get closer I realise I'm not, there's a blanket of snow covering everything, the ground, the mountains, everywhere is white.

I just stare out of the window, it was cold, but I certainly didn't think it was cold enough for snow

I internally curse, I was planning to get up this morning and go home, I don't know what this is that's going on with us, but I think we both agreed last night that it was a one night stand type thing. This snow is going to make it really difficult for me to get home, I wonder if he'll be annoyed...?

"What's going on?" I hear his sleepy voice ask from behind me, I turn around and look at him, he's still lying in bed, his head now tilted towards me.

"It's snowing..." I tell him, "there's a lot of it." I add.

"Really?" He asks and sits up, sliding off the bed, I'm all too aware that he's still completely naked, he doesn't make any move to change that as he pads over to the window. "Wow..." he says with a smile, "it looks so nice..."

I nod, "yeah, the mountains are stunning." I smile, looking out again.

"I haven't seen snow in so long." He says, smiling fondly.

"I think it's been a few years since it last snowed here, especially this much." I say.

"I think the last time it snowed over here I was away. I've been skiing though, but that kind of snow feels like it's on purpose you know? It's different from this." He laughs, such an easy laugh, like two old friends having a nice chat.

"Oh skiing, that would be so much fun." I say with a smile, using my phone to take a photo of the snowy mountains.

"It was. I assume you've never been?"

"No..." I answer, "never been skiing, I'm not sure if I'd be very good..." I say.

"You never know until you try." He grins at me.

"Very true..." I nod

"Do you want breakfast?" He asks, changing the subject, my tummy does a little growl right on cue, thankfully not loud enough for him to hear.

"I'd love breakfast." I smile, "I might grab a quick shower before though, if that's alright?"

"Yeah...of course, love." He says with a smile.

I get a shower, not taking long at all, just washing my body and my hair. I pull on some sweatpants and a hoody, leaving my hair wet to go downstairs.

I can smell food cooking from right at the top of the stairs, there's definitely toast, it smells delicious and welcoming.

"Hi...good shower?" He asks as soon as I'm in the doorway, he doesn't even turn around, I smile at that.

"Yeah... it was nice. Breakfast smells good..." I say, going to sit on one of the stools by the counter.

"Thank you, I hope it's okay. I don't eat meat, I'm doing some toast and eggs? Or there's beans or avocado, whatever you want...?"

"Eggs sound good." I tell him, "are you vegetarian then?"

"Pescatarian, I eat a lot of fish... what about you?"

"The opposite?" I laugh, "I hate seafood, I don't eat a lot of meat though, I can't stand steak or burgers."

"Those used to be my favourites." He laughs, "before I stopped eating meat, it was for health and environmental reasons, I used to forget myself all the time and order a burger or something."

I laugh and nod, "I'd be the same... I mostly eat chicken, sometimes mince but usually Turkey mince... I admire the dedication, I try to eat plant based as much as I can, but it's hard... especially convenience meals."

He nods and glances my way, "that's very true, I'm just really glad that a lot of places have adapted their menu's now..."

"That's true..." I smile as he sets a plate down in front of me, "thank you." I smile as he sits opposite me with his plate.

We eat in relative silence, I just tell him again that it's really good and thank him. Thankfully there isn't as much awkward tension as I thought there might be, after last night. But neither of us have mentioned it.

He's dressed now, in sweat pants and a hoody, we sort of match except his pants are a darker grey than mine.

"So... the snow probably means you wouldn't get home as easily?" He says when we're finished and just sipping on some orange juice.

"Yeah... the roads might not be great. But I'll try..."

"No, no... that wasn't a hint, I'd much rather you stay here until it's clearer, and safer. You're more than welcome here, seriously." He says, and I can tell he's sincere.