Chapter 5.4

The guilt inside you crumpled up your heart and ate up what was left of your shattered soul until it was too much to bare.

You couldnt think yet your senses where finally coming back to you.
You try to stop it by pulling up your hood, hoping the safety it brought you would quell the guilt.

It was no use.. it only made you feel pathetic, hiding from your mistakes.
Your eyes were starting to sting, soon it became clear that you were tearing up so you stand and wipe your eyes, looking to take your mind off of it all.

With a short stop by the local general store which you soon found out was called the slippery falcon, you were headed back towards the stables with a decent handful of tabantha wheat.

It wasnt the most nutritious meal for a horse but if you heat treated it, you could at least feed Fortan for the time being if the stables hadn't already done so.

After checking that the stables hand did feed him which they had, all you could do was think about what Lilith said to you, replaying her words over and over, letting them hit harder and harder with every loop while you subconsciously tended to Fortan.
As you did, he seemed to become irritated, dragging his front hoove heavily across the ground until it kicked up chunks of dirt and hay into the stables tarp.

With a short glance from behind, you saw Daniel walking towards you, looking around and slightly on edge, you had no doubt he was afraid of those bokoblins and moblins from last night.

"(Y/n), you forgot this."

He had your bow in his hand, as he passed it, you could tell there was a question lingering around him.

"So.. how did it go?"

"Horribly.. she hates my guts and.. I dont blame her."

"I thought so, she was fuming.. (Y/n).. she just needs time.. this is a lot to take in... for us too..
Three days of being chased and ambushed by creatures, talking humanoid birds and fish weve never seen before and now we find you after all this time.."

His words stop you in your tracks.

"Daniel?"

"Yeah?"

"... how did you get here?"

He fell silent.

For some reason, worry settled into your chest and you turned to see that Daniel was trying to word together what happened.

"We were out camping.. like before.
We recently got Lilith one of those new consoles for her birthday, it was getting late so me and Patrisha called it a night.
Lilith woke us up and there was.. screeching, it sounded so.. feral and ruthless..
I just threw my fist into the darkness, I hit something and we all ran until the screams stopped.. after everything calmed down, she told us that she passed out and saw a bright light before falling to the ground."

"Jesus.. wait, how did you get to rito village then?"

Daniel pointed towards Fortan who then gave of an annoyed frown followed by a vigourous shake of his coat, swiftly reminding Daniel of his embarrassing dismount.

"Yeah, yeah.. you may have helped but I still dont trust you.."

You chuckle slightly, which made Daniel frown as well.

You give Fortan a light pat while trying not to laugh more.
"Aw Fortan, dont listen to him.
Hes just grumpy that another horse bucked him off."

"Um excuse me, no he did not!"

All you had to do was give him a bland yet obviously blatant look of doubt.

"... ok fine, he di- ...how do you know his n-"

"This.. is my horse, we got split up during a nasty ambush."

"I was just about to mention how Lilith had to remove an arrow from Fortan."

Daniel watched as your face turned pale, apologising almost instantly to Fortan and giving him loving pats and hugs.

"I'm so sorry bud, I promise to be more careful."

He gives you a hard nudge out of the way before trotting out to give his legs a stretch.

"I think he wants to get out."

You dont hesitate, mounting up and getting comfy momentarily before holding out a hand to Daniel.

"I'm not g-"

"Hes not gonna try anything, not while I'm here.
Isn't that right bud?"

You get a response but it was clear that Fortan wasnt pleased.

"Oh shush, you'll have to get along eventually.."

Daniel was still standing a fair distance from you and Fortan as he kicked up another clump of dirt with his front hoove.

"Well?
While the sun is still up!"

Reluctant but brave, he took your hand and you hoisted him up, giving him a moment to get comfy too before spurring Fortan into a light trot.

"See? All he needs is some positive enc-"

Fortan suddenly turns mad, bucking wildly and yet to-and-fro as soon as you attempted to calm his nerves but you get thrown off along with Daniel before you could.

Groaning and sore, you pushed yourself up and leant back against your elbows, watching as he kicked up more dirt while whining.

"Fuck me.. he really does not like you.."

"Thank you for such... riveting information."

"..Keep talking like that and I'll assume a certain someone has rubbed off on you."

Daniel laughed for a few seconds.

"I can take a guess... blue feathers?"

Now you shot up, giggling in disbelief and still sat in the dirt.

"Already!? Wow.. lemme guess... it didnt take even 5 minutes until he was boasting about his achievements and success?"

"Something like that.. I didnt mind, although I couldnt help but feel like he was being extremely pretentious.."

"Well.. I've only known him for a month and that sounds about right."

The two of you sat in silence until Daniel got himself up and offered a hand, which you gladly took.

"So what have you been doing for an entire month, surely you haven't been as reckless as you were last night.. right?"

The moment he saw your gaze hit the floor, his heart skipped a beat.

"Where do I even start.."
With a long, drawn out sigh, you started from the beginning.