Chapter 7

Revali turns, confused but finally mustering the courage to ask.

"why call it mediocrity?
You have something people here search for their whole lives.."

You stay silent, wanting to see where he took this.

"You're skilled, smart, quick on the spot, aware of your surroundings and you get along with everyone you meet... almost everyone."

His gaze drifts off towards where the village is beyond the cliff face, remind you of Liliths swift punch to the gut.

A small chuff slips out as Revali continued with his speech.

"To top everything off, you're given the role of a champion... a decision I still cant understand.. then again, I've moved past asking questions i wont get an answer to.."

"Like what?"

He looks at you, contemplating whether to continue speaking or to stop where he is.

"Its nothing important."

The foreboding silence began to slip back into the room once more but you deny it, standing up with a slight limp.

"Id like to believe everything you said.. i really do but.. i don't deserve it."

Revali looked over to you as you stared off past the crevice leading out to the village with a look of guilt simmering in your sunken and baggy eyes.
He calmly averts his look from you as you look at him.

"Is there anything else you wanna check?.."

He simply shakes his head, looking off towards the village as well and looking quite prideful at that.

"Ok.. I'm gonna head out then."

As you go to lower your better leg onto the ladder, you turn back around.

"Revali?"

"yes?"

"... Thanks."

He smiles as he sits back down amongst the pillows and fur hides

"Glad to assist wherever."

You then descend down to the ground and mount up, Fortan was more than happy to start galloping through the thin layers of snow settling into the dirt path ahead of you.
As the two of you made way through the luscious grass and neared the outer edge of the woodlands by the stable, a bush rustles and moves out the corner of your eye, making Fortan jolt slightly which gave you the feeling of deja vu.

"Keep going Fortan."

Another bush closes in and then another until you lost count, urging you to pull out your bow and give Fortan a light kick of your heels to pick up the pace.
You could see the clearing coming up now as the hair on your arms stood.
You had a good feeling about what you were surrounded by but the question that kept finding its way back in was simple...

Why have none of them attacked yet?

Suddenly arrows fly from the bushes, causing Fortan to reel back with a panicked whine, taking a few hits from the multiple arrows.
You raise an arm and summon Daruks protection but it only did so much, large cracks were forming around the edges of the shield and grew towards the centre with every impact of an arrow. 

As a final arrow made contact, the shield shatters and lets the arrow land into your forearm and force its way through the other side, eliciting a pain ridden wail that gets cut off by another sharp pain shooting across your chest, throwing you off Fortan as he lands back on his hooves.

Pushing yourself back up was more than painful but you then realised as you used your other arm, you had dropped your bow in the fall.
You glanced around, seeing no bow in sight but three yiga clan members rushing towards you.

"Fuuuuck..."

One steps in with a low swing of a blade and up, aimed for your head.
You reel back as far as you could, feeling the sword graze your ear and slice off hair and stand upright, causing the pain across your chest spread.
You then take a step towards the member and give a swift and violent kick into his knee, making him buckle onto his hands and knees.

A second member was swinging horizontally towards your shoulder so you duck under the swing, step towards the other with a spin and firm yet painful grip thanks to the arrow.
You then pull the member over your shoulder and let him slam into the yiga member still on his hands and knees, putting him out of fight.

Another two take the stage as you drive your fist into the mask of the yiga member atop the other, knocking him out with a sickening crack from the mask breaking and once more, sending pain across another part of your body.

Before either one could plan a move, you had used revalis gale to close the gap, driving your elbow into the gut of one and follow up with a high kick onto the ribcage of the other but stumble from the pain, only winding the clan member for a moment.

The one next to the now winded clan member kicks your chest before you could retaliate, causing something to audibly snap and send an unimaginable amount of pain further across your chest as you stumbled for a better footing, urging another pain ridden wail to slip out and echo across the woods.
You were starting to see less and less as the pain built up, then it hit you.
You were about to pass out from the pain.

You forced every fibre in your body to fight back but it was too late, as you took a step, you fully bucked under your own weight and fall to your side, catching a glimpse of a snapped arrow shaft deep in your lower ribcage and seeping blood through the fabric of your tunic. 

As the last moments of conciseness left you, you hoped someone would find you before they got you.

It had been to long but a horrid feeling seeped into the bottom of your chest, like you were a kid again, scared and feeling alone, against the world.

Only seconds after, your strength left you and your eyes fall into a haze before clamping shut.