Chapter 5.1

The first thing that hit you was the impact, stealing away the last of your strength along with a stinging sensation.
Then the water followed, swallowing you whole as you passed out from the impact.

Meanwhile at the village inn

Patrisha and Daniel gave each other worrying glances as the sound of metal clashing, bokoblins and moblin screams echoed from far below.

"He shouldn't be-"

"I know.. I think he'll be ok."

Patrisha gave Daniel an distraught look.

"How could you say that? Hes probably down there right now, risking his life."

"Patrisha.. did you see what he was wearing?
You saw the sword and the bow?"

She nodded, like they understood one another without a whim.

"Hes thriving here."

Mazli was stood at the entrance of the inn, watching the fight below while his community fought for their home.

"You cant help them, can you?"

He didnt look away.
"No, My post is up here for the next few days."

"Then why were yo-"

"I was covering for a scout that got caught in an ambush.
It's not just bokoblins and moblins that like to attack.."

Before they could ask him what, he was leaving.

"I should head back, i have no doubt a few stragglers will make it up."

His sudden departure left the room in an eerie silence for some time.

Time ticked on, the rays of sunlight was seeping away, sharp gales rised and fell as Rito village's residents watched on from the many catwalks and landings that spiralled up its spine.

Shocked gasps were heard from outside, Daniel was on his feet and looking by then, following the gaze of a few ritos to see a red and black smudge of a figure hauling a towering foe over the cliff edge.

All he could do was watch while a number of rito soon took turns, swooping to the water and back up.

It felt like the longest minute of his life as he finally saw a figure being hauled up into view and towards the landing nearby.

It wasnt long until the rito came crashing down.
A crowd had gathered around as your lifeless body was held in the ritos arms.

Daniel was frantically pushing through the crowd now.
Once he pierced through, he rushed over.

"Is he-"

"Hes not breathing-"

The rito got cut off as daniel pulled you aside, spreading you out flat on your back and rests two fingers on your neck.

"Hes alive!"

He didnt waste anymore time, with his fingers interlocking, he started to do chest compressions and counted to 30.

Everyone was beyond confused but all they could do was watch as Daniel desperately tried to bring you back.

He took a deep breath and gave a few rescue breaths, there was no response so he kept repeating it, over and over.

It was heartbreaking for everyone, seeing him try so hard, even if no one knew what was happening.

It dragged on for some time, it almost seemed pointless now.

"Hes gone... I'm sorry.."

Tears threatened to soak Daniel's cheeks.

"No!
We just got him back!
I wont lose him now!"

Mipha had caught up and was pushing through the crowd as well until she could see through.
It cut deep, knowing she couldnt do anything to help as Daniel tried again and again, looking for some slither of hope.

He kept applying chest compressions as those tears started to fall down from his cheeks onto your crimson sash.

"Please... not like this!"

With one final press, he fell onto his backside, gasping gently for air.

"Fuck!"

The village fell silent, the only thing that broke that silence was the gale that billowed through it.

Then it was truly broken by a guttural and garbled sputtering.
Everyone looked as a spurt of water shot from your mouth like a fountain.

You coughed and gasped for air for a hot minute until your breathing calmed down.
You were still unconscious but breathing.
Thankfully, that was more than enough to reassure Daniel.

He wiped away his tears, got his arms underneath you and lifted you up.
The faintest chuckle left his lips as he carried you back to the inn while rito village's residents parted way for him.
"Still as light as a feather..."
Mipha was close behind, she didnt want to say anything though.
She might find out more about you.

The moment he walked in, Patrisha was up and on edge, asking what happened, how and so on.

"Patrisha, baby.. calm down.. hes ok, barely but hes ok."

"But hes bleeding!"

As he set you down into the bed next to Lilith, he fell back into a chair with a hand on his forehead, mental exhausted from the last few days.

"He'll live.. I wouldn't be concerned about that though.."

"Why?.."

"He nearly drowned... i cant decide whether hes completely selfless or that he was so willing to just.. throw away his life.. like it's nothing."

A pair of hands rest on Daniel's cheeks.

"Think about what you would feel, being in his shoes.
He probably though he was alone.. for so long and now.."

"I know.. I just cant stand to see him like this.. even when we found him, it was just like this.. carrying a frail, frightened kid into our home."

Mipha finally spoke up, asking a question they hadn't heard for a while.

"How old was he when.. you 'found' him?"

They both look at each other, then back at Mipha.

"We dont know.."

"What about now?"

"He never spoke.."

"I see.. did he not trust you?"

Daniel defiantly shook his head.

"He let us help, feed and clothe him.
I have no doubt he trusted us, immensely... he just chose not to talk.. he must have had a lot on his back now that I think about it."

Mipha already had a face burnt into her mind after hearing that.
"I know someone who can relate to him.. it's a horrid thing, stress.."

"It really is."