Chapter 6.8

All you could do was lower your head in guilt.. they were probably mortified after seeing the state you were in. 

"...Just head forward until you reach that opening.

I'm sure you'll know where to go once you reach it"

Before you could respond, he was back in the air and gliding gracefully towards the inn.

You muster was a short sigh before giving Fortan's reigns a light tug and mount up as he passed by and just like many times before, you fall into a deep train of thought... of Patrisha's question.

Why are you doing this?

Was it because of the life you lived before? Was it because you knew things others didnt?

or maybe... you were tired of running..

Fortan rears back onto his hind legs briefly, letting out a low bellow which snapped you out of the thought only to realise you had been hovering around a wooden ladder leading to what looked to be a rito's home.

To your left was a deep pit with a thin pillar of stone in the centre, displaying an unprecedented amount of objects hanging from it.
As you looked from one to another, they all had shoddily painted targets on them and even more came into focus from behind the pillar as you took in the surroundings.

Forton grew antsy and shook his body, urging you to dismount.

"ok! ok! God, youre a grumpy bastard today!"

Fortan then walks a few paces away from you.

Taking a moment to think clearly, you look back to make sure you were in the right place, seeing a large opening and look back up at the small home again.
While Fortan began to graze nearby, you gripped onto the ladder and raise one foot onto the ladder and lift yourself, then... pain, trailing up the same leg until it made you buckle under and fall down onto your backside.

With a low groan, you force yourself back up and try again, only to fall back down and become frustrated... confused.
Your lungs start to feel tight and you can see your misty breaths grow sporadic and violent, never ending and growing until tears begin to trickle down into the snow.

You tried to restrain your emotions but they grew too much to burden as the faint echoes of your mothers screams and wailling burns its way into your memory.

It thankfully didn't last long, only remnants of your sporadic breathing remained as you took in deep breaths to calm yourself.

You breathe in, then out and repeat until you had a good grasp of your emotions.

"well... I guess ladders are going to be hassle to use for now.. or maybe not.."

Your little speech to yourself gave you an idea.. or what was a reoccurring one, kneeling down on your better leg and placing your palm into the snow, you mentally prepare yourself.
You had never used Revali's gift outside of a battle so its not like you were a master when using it.

Snow gets thrown all over suddenly, causing Fortan to let out a panicked whine as you shoot up into the air and rise to the deck.
It went smoother than expected as you glided up into the home, landing one foot on the decking and continue into a stroll.

"Hah.. like a glove?"

Once you got over your impressive entry, you began to look and inspect the room.
It was surprisingly empty compared to the homes back in rito village, only a chest of drawers and a cooking pot could be seen.

In the corner beside the drawers was a pile of pillows, quilts and fur hides and just to the side of that... sat a guitar.

"Ill be dammed..."

You walk over with a slight spring to each step, feeling almost giddy upon seeing one.
As you pick it up by its neck, you could feel the strings had stretched and grown loose.

You still gave it a strum just for the sake of it and a cacophony of horrific sounds blared out, making your head shake violently.

"My god.. this is not just untuned, its mistreated.."

Seeing as this was a good way to take your mind off things, you look to sit on the piles of pillows and furs but it looked as if you'd sink in and never see daylight again.

So you opt for a seat at the end of a walkway leading over the pit, with your legs dangling over the edge, you start to slowly tune its stings, plucking and listening for that perfect point.
It took some time but you had it in tune eventually.

You then became hesitant, holding back from actually playing.
The only music you remembered off by heart.. you heard from her...

Setting the guitar down gently, you silently contemplate.. going between not wanting to think to wanting to remember her for who she was to you.. not how she died.

You felt your face was becoming flustered and your eyes growing sore again.
With having to think why, you gave your eyes a brisk wipe and sniffled, you then unclasp the hook on your necklace and let it hang within your grasp.

It was almost rusted over with a material no one would be able to guess.. but you knew what it was.. and you could never find the strength to clean it off..

At the center of the chain lied a locket, rested shut by the very same material and next to it was a wooden pick, worn and beaten down through time.

As you watched it sway in the gentle breeze, you could hear the screams growing louder again so you pick up the guitar again and start playing.

It had been a long time, a very long time since you held one so once you had wrapped the chain over and around your palm, you fumbled around its strings for a few minutes as you got into a rhythm before counting yourself in and began to tap the chain against the wood.

"... 1, 2, 3, 4.."

Hello, I'm glad to say that the little bird I helped has found an amazing home in an aviary on the outskirts of my town!

I must admit, it was quite sad to say goodbye, it was so fascinating to see such a small creature grow so fast.
Unfortunately, I didn't take anymore photos as I didn't want to stress the poor thing out any further than it probably was then.

Anyway, thank you everyone for being so patient for the next chapter!