The Crater

3rd. Person POV

(Y/N): Here they come!

As the young Jedi yelled this, the shots began to ring out all around them. Atlas was desperate to not let the Legion reach the crater. Because of this, they were launching larger and larger assaults on their combined force. However, with their strength ever increasing and the people on their side, the Legion had all of the best cards in their hands.

B1: Oh god, they're getting clos-

An Atlas soldier shot off the droid's head before it could finish it's sentence.

ZK-RY on comms: Unexpected volume of casualties. Dispatching elite units.

Suddenly, an LAAT flew overhead and dropped off the strange commando droids that the Jedi had seen in the cave. The special ones that had apparently been programmed to fight like Jedi. The so-called Knight Commandos ignited their lightsabers and moved quickly into the enemy lines.

Clone: Looks like the clankers are getting all the fun.

Sariel: Not for long! Let's get moving, everyone.

The Mantle Liberation Front moved forward, further squeezing the Atlesian advance.

(Y/N): ZK, mind thinning up our resistance?

ZK-RY on comms: Affirmative.

ZK-RY and his two Vulture escorts could then be seen strafing the Atlesian positions. Soldiers and Androids fell and vehicles exploded. After this strafe run, several groups of people charged forward at high speeds. Among them was (Y/N), who immediately sliced the head off of an Atlesian Android.

Brush: Even when the war's over, we still can't get a break from fighting clankers, can we?

(Y/N): Don't worry, commander. Once this battle's been won, we're all going to take a much needed rest.

Brush: Let's hope you're right.

Timeskip 3 hours

The people at the crater were mesmerized by the sight. The Legion had arrived, along with hundreds of civilians following them. The march had been completed and the people of Mantle were safe.

Man 1: It's the Legion!

Man 2: The Legion made it! We're saved!

The people watching this go on cheered for their saviors as they approached. The chorus of hope echoed throughout the city as the remaining Atlas troops let their failure sink in.

Brush: I want a defensive perimeter established on the edge of the crater. Get it done!

Clone: Yes sir!

The Clones and Droids then began to move out and take defensive positions. Commander Brush then approached (Y/N).

Brush: An excellent victory, General.

(Y/N): Thank you, commander.

Brush: What are your next orders?

(Y/N): Hold this position. If you see Grimm or Atlas Soldiers, shoot on sight. If you see civilians, let them in.

Brush: Understood.

Brush then relayed the orders to the rest of the Legion. (Y/N) then went towards the slums in order to find a place to rest for a moment. He was soon followed by Sariel, Blake, Nora, and Ren.

Sariel: Where are you off to, Perp?

(Y/N): I just want to rest for a few minutes.

Nora: You and me both. I've had enough marching for one day.

Ren: I'll go with you, we can see if anyone in the crater needs our help.

Blake: Same here.

Sariel: I'll stay with these guys. Just don't freeze to death, alright?

(Y/N) nodded and the four of them went to the slums of the crater. As they got closer and closer, they began to hear the voices of staring people.

Man 1: I've seen that guy before, he was from the broadcast.

Man 2: You think he's the one running the Legion?

Man 1: Maybe...

Woman: Did you see the weapons those kids have? They're like those hard light swords that the elite soldiers have.

Man 3: These aren't any ordinary huntsmen, that's for sure.

 They continued to walk past small huts and groups of people huddled around fires until they found a slightly larger hut. Sitting in front of the hut on a bench was a person the four of them recognized.

(Y/N): Oscar?

The four of them picked up the pace, capturing Oscar's attention.

Oscar: Guys! You're okay!

(Y/N): That's what you're worried about? What about you? What happened up there? How did you get down here before us?

Oscar nervously scratched the back of his head.

Oscar: It's... a long story.

Ren: Well, we're glad you're okay.

Blake: And the General? What happened when you confronted him?

Oscar: He... Didn't budge...

(Y/N): I wouldn't expect him to listen to the words of a young boy. If anything, you'd have had a better chance if you pretended that Ozpin was back in control.

Oscar: Yeah... about that...

(Y/N)'s expression grew confused.

(Y/N): What?

Oscar then sighed, before allowing Ozpin to take control for a few moments. (Y/N) immediately noticed the brief glow of the boy's eyes.

(Y/N): Oz? You're... back?

Ozpin: I... believe I should tell you this in person. I am so terribly sorry... to all of you. I made you fight in a war that you didn't even know about. I hid the truth from you because I was scared. I've kept so much from so many people, and I am sorry.

(Y/N): Save it.

Ozpin: Huh?

(Y/N): You were wrong to do those things, Oz. That much I can agree with. But that doesn't matter right now. Salem is here, and now we have a fighting chance. We found a way to end this war for good. No matter how much we are at each other's throats, we are still on the same side as of now. What we need to focus on is ending Salem's reign of terror once and for all.

Ozpin stared at (Y/N) for a moment. For a moment, he was reminded of a younger version of himself. A version of himself that didn't know of the impossibility it was to stop Salem. It gave him hope, but at the same time it made him worry that this optimism would get (Y/N) killed.

Ozpin: I envy the faith you have in your cause, Mr. (L/N). I really do.

(Y/N): It isn't just faith Oz.

Ozpin: Hopefully you're right. As you have clearly seen by now, Darkness isn't so easily vanquished on Remnant.

(Y/N): Yes, I am all too aware of this. I've felt one too many shifts in the Force recently. What happened with Saeris was a frightening anomaly to be sure.

Ozpin: Agreed. That Force Storm that he summoned would probably cause quite a local shift.

(Y/N) turned away and began to make an expression indicative of deep thought.

(Y/N): Indeed it did, but right now we need to-

Suddenly, (Y/N)'s head snapped slightly upward as his eyes widened.

(Y/N): Wait a minute...

The Jedi then turned back to Ozpin, a look of suspicion now on his face.

(Y/N): How did you know what it was called?