The Real Story

(Y/N) POV

I tried to regain my composure. Blake still sat by me as I let it all out. I had bottled up my emotions for too long, it felt good to finally release it all.

Blake: It's okay... Everything is going to be okay.

(Y/N): Those two... Emerald and Mercury... the moment I ran into them I felt something within them. What I sensed... was deceit, anger, ill intentions. It was a combination of dark emotions, in each and every one of the... AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN! HOW COULDN'T I HAVE SEEN?

Blake: It's okay, you couldn't have known.

(Y/N): Yes... Yes I could have... If I had just listened to the Force... then Pyrrha would still be alive...

Blake then hugged me.

Blake: I miss her too... We are going to get back at the people who did this, but first we need to get stronger.

Ruby POV

We sat around a campfire. The Sith had left shortly after our fight with Tyrian, but not before telling us his name... Darth Saeris... Uncle Qrow began to explain to us what was really going on. When he finished, he took a gulp from his flask.

Qrow: Really? No questions?

Sariel: Of course we have questions... we just need to process this for a moment...

Qrow: Sure... of course...

Ruby: So these... maidens... they're powerful fighters that don't need dust to use magic.

Qrow: Yeah.

Nora: And there are four of them?

Qrow: Yep... always...

Ren: Which means, that whenever one dies, the power transfers to someone, a female, that they care about?

Qrow: Whoever was in their thoughts last... important distinction. Best option is someone we can trust... regardless, their souls become combined, in a way... the previous fall maiden, Amber, had been attacked. She was young, inexperienced, and her assailant who we now know was Cinder, somehow managed to steal some of her power... but not all of it. We were afraid that if we didn't do something, the rest would go to her as well. We gave Pyrrha a choice and she chose to go along with it.

There was silence for some time.

Ruby: That guy, Tyrian, why was he after me?

Qrow: Well, you definitely painted a target on your back with what you did at Beacon. I told you that having silver eyes is a rare trait, and the fact that you're someone who is able to use them seems to have upset some really powerful people. Not many people know about the silver eyes, but those that do aren't happy that one has surfaced. That's why I've been keeping an eye on you, I wanted to make sure you were safe... all of you.

There was silence around the campfire before Qrow gestured to Sariel.

Qrow: So, who's your new friend?

Sariel: My name is Sariel Astra, Jedi Knight.

Qrow: So, looks like that (Y/N) kid found another one to train.

Sariel: (Y/N) (L/N) did not train me. Him and I were both trained by experienced Jedi Masters.

Qrow squints.

Qrow: I see... so what's this about the Saeris fella?

Sariel: He is a Sith. The Sith are those who fall to the temptations of the Dark Side of the Force. They use their hatred to fuel their power.

Qrow: There is a lot about this universe that I don't understand.

Ren: Like you wouldn't believe.

Ruby: Wait, if you wanted to make sure that we were safe, then why not just travel with us? It seems like that would've been way easier.

Sariel: Likely to use you as bait.

Qrow: Look, I wouldn't put it like that. It's... complicated...

Sariel: Look, you huntsmen seem to know what you're doing, but I'm clueless. I don't know what we're up against or why we fight. What is the point of all this? Ruby is being hunted, the schools are being attacked. What for? What is the point of it all, tell us already!

Qrow sighed before continuing.

Qrow: Not many people are super religious these days. This world's been around for a long time... long enough that people have created dozens of gods... but if you believe Ozpin, two of them are actually real. They were brothers. The older brother, the god of light, found joy in creating forces of life. Meanwhile the younger brother, the god of darkness, spent his time creating forces of destruction... as you would imagine, they both had very different ideas on how things should go. The older brother would spend his days creating water, plants, wildlife. At night his brother would wake to see all the things that the elder had made and become disgusted. To counteract his brother's creations, the god of darkness brought drought, fire, famine, all that he could to rid Remnant of life... life always returned... so one night, the younger brother went and made something... something that shared his innate desire to destroy anything and everything.

Ruby: The creatures of Grimm.

Qrow: You guessed it... The older brother had finally had enough. Knowing that their feud couldn't last like this forever, he proposed that they make one final creation... together... something they could both be proud of... their masterpiece. The younger brother agreed. This last great creation would be given the power to both create and destroy. It would be given the gift of knowledge, so that it could learn about itself and the world around it... and most importantly, it would be given the power to choose... to have free will to take everything it had learned and decide which path to follow... the path of light, or the path of darkness... and that... is how humanity came to be.

Ren: But what does this have to do with us?

Qrow: Well, that's the kicker. See, the four gifts to mankind, knowledge, creation, destruction and choice aren't just metaphorical... each of them exists in a physical form. Left behind by the gods before they abandoned Remnant... and each of them is extraordinarily powerful. If someone were to collect all four, they'd be able to change the world... and that's exactly what the enemy wants. The huntsman academies were created to train generations of humanity's protectors, but they also serve another purpose: guarding the relics. When Ozpin's predecessor founded the schools, he built them around the relics to act as a fortress. Not only would they be easier to defend, but they would be constantly surrounded by trained warriors. The hope was that hiding the relics would keep humanity from using them against itself... and of course, keeping them out of her reach.

We all looked at him in varying levels of surprise.

Qrow: So yeah, there's that...

Ruby: Her... you mean Salem?

Qrow: That's right... not much is known about her, and quite frankly that's not what matters. What matters now is that she wants the relics, and if she gets them, its not going to end well.