ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝔽𝕚𝕗𝕥𝕪

When I woke up the next morning, my entire body was covered in sweat. How? I didn't know. It took a lot to get my body to a temperature high enough to do that. It wasn't impossible, of course. It was just a bit odd.

I opened my eyes and stared at my ceiling, wondering if maybe I got up and went on a sleep-run for twenty miles, then decided to put my house at a whopping ninety eight degrees and added some humidity while I was at it. It hadn't happened before, but who was to say it couldn't?

I turned my head to look at the time and froze, not expecting to see Kyler curled up beside me. His eyes were closed and his lips were open slightly as he breathed evenly. But besides that, his cheeks were tinged a light shade of pink.

When I went to roll out of bed, my body hit another and I stared helplessly at Lucian, who was still and silent as he slept on my other side.

That explained the heat. Though it seemed they were hotter than usual.

I didn't know what was more surprising: the fact that I wasn't surprised that they were both in my bed, or the fact that they felt like literal fire.

I placed my hand on Lucian's forehead and immediately pulled it away. I wasn't just imagining things. They were definitely hotter than usual.

Lucian's eyes opened into tired slits, and I noticed that his pupils had expanded and there was a small glow emanating behind his irises. He looked at me silently.

The bed rustled on my other side and Kyler sat up, his eyes looking a lot like Lucian's.

Then it hit me.

"I'm assuming the five hundred degree body temperature is due to the full moon," I asked.

"Yes," Kyler answered, his voice husky with sleep.

It was only ten o'clock in the morning, so if they were already feeling the effects of the full moon, they were in for a long day. It made me wonder if that meant I was in for a long day as well.

Before I drifted off to sleep, I thought of the possible implications of allowing them to stay with me through their rut. A part of me was fine with it - that part of me that was still somewhat high off of Kyler's blood - and the other part knew I should send them home. There were things I couldn't do, and that was probably one of them. Six hours almost killed me with one of them. Two of them for a longer period of time, and while they were going through their rut?

I slid out of bed and pulled my hair away from the nape of my neck. "Before I went to sleep last night, I spoke with Kieran. He'll come over tonight so you can do your thing."

I hadn't contacted Kieran, nor was I planning to. I was hoping their general dislike for one another would keep Lucian from contacting Kieran to see if that was true.

There hadn't been any threat since Beverly was killed. I didn't feel anyone watching me, and I didn't feel like I was in danger. I could go one night without someone with me.

"Probably smart," Lucian said, rubbing his temples like he had a headache. "Is he able to get here in about an hour?"

He could get there in three seconds as long as I kept up my lie. But I had to continue playing that part if I was planning on having the night to myself.

I grabbed my phone and texted Naomi.

Me: Pretend you're Kieran.

As always, she wrote back right away.

Naomi: Got you.

I deleted the previous text messages between us, then switched her name to Kieran on my phone.

Me: Lucian is wondering if you can get here in an hour instead of later tonight.

I watched the bubbles appear as she texted back. I fanned myself with my free hand and shot a glare at the two werewolves in my bed. They were like fucking space heaters cranked up to max heat. Fuck an hour. They needed to go be hot somewhere else.

Kieran: Of course. Let me just finish things up here and I'll head over.

I turned the phone to show Lucian and smiled wryly. "He'll be here. But you might want to go. I'll be fine for an hour."

He eyed me, and I wondered for a second if he didn't believe me. If maybe he saw through the lie, even though I didn't do or say anything to tip him off. I almost checked to see if I accidentally didn't change Naomi's name in my phone, but figured that'd do more harm than good.

"If something happens, let me know," Lucian said as he and Kyler got out of bed. They both weren't wearing shirts, and their skin glistened with a light coating of sweat.

I'd need to wash my sheets.

My doorbell rang, forcing me to tear my gaze away from their bodies. I left the room in more of a hurry than necessary, causing the two men to laugh at my discomfort. I had half a mind to turn around and flip them off, but kept it to myself because they'd only find that humorous.

Naomi was standing at my door, grinning from ear to ear.

That was concerning.

She came in, handing me a coffee like she was giving a sacrifice to a god, then shut the door. Her eyes twinkled in amusement as she leaned back.

"So," she raised her eyebrows, "how's that checklist?"

I put my index finger up to my lips to silence her.

"What checklist?"

Mother fucker.

I didn't even have to turn around. Naomi's eyes widened at what I presume to be Lucian and Kyler. By her look, they were still shirtless and still looked like they went thirty rounds in the bed with the only other sweaty person in the room. I knew what it looked like, and I couldn't even tell her she was wrong because then it would look like I was making excuses.

"I gave her a list of things to do," she said, her eyes finally meeting mine after she did a thorough search of them. "It was only a few things. How many of those things have you done?"

I felt my face heat slightly. "All of them."

Her earlier grin reappeared.

I pursed my lips at her reaction before turning to be able to see all three of them. I was right in my original assumption about Kyler and Lucian still being half naked.

"You two headed out?" I motioned towards the door.

"Yes," Kyler said. "I feel better that someone's with you, even if it is until Kieran comes."

Thankfully, Naomi had the mind to keep her mouth shut. She was usually pretty good about hiding things from others for me, but something about my sex life made her feel she needed to tell them everything. Like my vagina was the gateway to all the answers.

Lucian and Kyler both passed by us, and as they did, their hands reached out and brushed against me. It only made Naomi raise her eyebrows in curiosity, but thankfully she didn't say or ask anything.

The door closed behind him and Naomi's face morphed to show a mischievous glint to her eye. "So...tell me everything."