ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕣𝕥𝕪 𝔽𝕠𝕦𝕣

Lucian didn't touch me at all during the night, but I woke up halfway on top of him, my head resting on his chest and my leg draped over his body. I took a moment to try and figure out a way to move away from him while still pretending to be asleep.

Unfortunately I couldn't do that, because his arm wrapped around me and I felt his stomach rise and fall rapidly with laughter.

"I could tell the moment you woke up," he said quietly, still laughing. "Your body became tense within a matter of seconds."

"I don't cuddle," I said, trying to pull away.

He kept me rooted against him without exerting any effort at all. "Could have fooled me."

He finally let me go, and I rolled off of the bed onto my feet. I gave him the peace sign - Lord save me - and hurried to my bathroom to brush my teeth.

Lucian wasn't far behind, stepping into my bathroom behind me. The height difference between us was disconcerting in such a small area.

I reached into a drawer and pulled out one of my many disposable toothbrushes. He held the package in his hand, staring at the bright pink toothbrush like he wasn't sure if he should be offended or just take it.

I opened my drawer. "I have blue too, if that would help ease your masculinity crisis."

His eyes met mine in the mirror and he tore open the package he held before reaching around me and placing it under the running faucet. It was feeling a tad too domesticated in my bathroom, so I stepped out as I brushed my teeth to allow him room. Not only did he take up a lot of room, I realized I didn't mind seeing him there.

I sat on my bed and brushed my teeth as I scrolled through my phone. I had a text from the police chief, and my lip curled in distaste.

Chief Bard: Sorry to bother you. There have been a couple of murders recently that I'd like to clear before the end of the week. Are you available to come in tonight?

I almost didn't write back, but since he and I had the same type of phone, he would see that I read his message.

I didn't mind him as a person. He was an older man that kept himself in shape, and had an easy smile that made people feel at ease. He also paid me under the table for helping him, as well as the normal amount he'd direct deposit into my account once the deal was done.

But as a cop? He took as many shortcuts as possible to get to the same end result because he didn't want to waste time and energy having his employees do the detective work.

I also didn't have much of a choice.

Me: How many bodies?

I brought my phone with me as I walked back to my bathroom, pushing Lucian out of the way with my hip to spit out the toothpaste from my mouth.

My phone rang and I sighed, bringing it to my face. "Hello, Chief Bard."

Lucian's eyes trailed over to me.

"Nova!" He was always so happy when he knew he was going to get what he wanted. "I figured it'd be easier to call, rather than exchange messages."

I stepped out of the bathroom, and Lucian followed behind. "It's fine. What's up?"

"There are three bodies," he said. "But I'm not sure how far your…power...reaches. One of the bodies has no head."

I closed my eyes for a moment as I sat down on my bed. "I can raise a body without a head, but questioning it will be worthless. If it can't hear or speak, there's really no point."

"That's what I figured." He sounded proud, and I wondered if it was because he knew the obvious - you can't talk to something without ears, and it can't speak without a mouth - or if I was misinterpreting. I figured it was the former.

I opened my eyes to see Lucian lifting his shirt over his head.

What the actual hell?

I blinked at him, and he grinned.

"When do you need me?" I watched as Lucian stepped towards me and knelt to one knee. In only seconds, an explosion of his pheromones surrounded me and I tensed, clenching my teeth to keep from making a noise.

"The morgue closes at eight," Bard said, completely and utterly oblivious to what was happening on my side of the phone.

Lucian moved forward, and my only option was to fall back into bed or collide faces with him. When he was leaning over me, his pupils expanded ever so slightly as they moved from my horrified eyes to my lips.

"So," I said, trying to think through the fuzz of pheromones, "I'm assuming you don't want me raising the dead with people there."

Lucian's eyes moved down my body, and everywhere he looked felt like hands trailed down my skin. My neck, my chest, my abdomen…

I cleared my throat.

"Correct," Bard replied. "So I'd say let's meet there around eight thirty, so we know everyone who needs to be out is out."

Lucian lowered his head and ran his nose up the side of my throat until his lips were by my free ear.

I tapped his chest, then hated myself for doing it because his skin was smooth against my fingertips, stretching tightly over defined muscles.

He made a quiet noise in my ear that had me shivering.

"That's fine," I said. "Anything else?"

Lucian moved his body so that every inch of his torso almost touched me. He was close enough that I could feel the heat radiating from him, mixed with the overwhelming pressure of his pheromones, which somehow kicked up a notch.

"Are you okay," Bard asked. "You're sounding a little off."

"Of course." I laughed. "I'm great."

"Okay," Bard said. "But as for anything else, no that should be it. I'll have your regular amount deposited and a tip to say thank you."

Lucian nipped my shoulder and I yelped in surprise, then slapped my hand over my mouth to cover the noise that had already escaped. I felt him smile against my skin.

"Sorry!" I raised my knee and tapped it against his hip to stop him. "A puppy just bit me. I will see you at eight thirty."

He reached down and grabbed my leg, keeping it propped up against him as he raised his head. When I hung up, his eyes narrowed.

"Screw the teasing," he said, then pressed his body against mine as he kissed me.