ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝔽𝕠𝕣𝕥𝕪

I couldn't stop thinking about my mom. It had been a few weeks since I'd last spoken to her, and almost six months since the last time I saw her. I tried to visit every six months, but I doubted I'd be able to get up there this time around. 

Even if I did, I wasn't sure I'd be able to hide the fact that the man who donated his sperm to a good cause - also known as me - was actually a shit person. 

I wondered what my father would have said to her to make her fall for him in only a night. Either he was good at making a woman feel wanted, or he was incredibly good in bed - which I didn't want to think about. Thinking about my mother ever having sex made a chill run up my spine. 

For as much as I knew and cared, she never had sex again after I was conceived. And that thought was fine with me. 

The three men who felt like I needed protecting at all points in my life were giving me some time to myself. It was much needed, and the silence in my house was one I hadn't heard in what felt like forever, although it had only been a couple of days. 

Introverts, am I right? 

I wanted to allow myself the time to relax, but those thoughts of my mom kept coming back until I figured I might as well give her a call. 

The phone rang twice before she picked up. 

"Sweetie?" She sounded concerned. "Are you okay?" 

Generally we had a schedule of when we called each other. It was every two to four weeks, and we took turns. I was the one who made that schedule, because the moment she moved away, she called me every single day to make sure that I was doing okay. I loved her to death, but it was too much. 

It was also her turn to call me, and it wasn't due for another couple of days. 

"I'm okay," I said, laying down on my couch. "I was just thinking about you."

She hummed, like maybe she didn't quite believe me. "So what's new with your life, sweet girl? Have you been keeping up with your blood intake?" 

Oh, was I ever. 

I wasn't going to get into how well I was keeping up with my blood intake. I also wasn't going to tell her that I was learning how to be a proper vampire. She loved me for me, but I wasn't ready for that yet. 

Also that would be a bit of a shock for her, since the last time we spoke I was still adamant that I hated any and all paranormal races. 

"Of course," I said. "Have you been okay?" 

"I have." There was a smile in her voice. "I have a date tomorrow night." 

My mouth dropped open. It had been years since she went out on a date. Either that or she just didn't tell me when she went out. I somewhat doubted she'd keep something like that from me, since I spent years trying to get her to start dating. 

Another reason why I didn't care for my father. He had absolutely no idea what his leaving did to my mom. Sure, she was a fantastic mother while I was growing up, but it was difficult to miss the sadness she tried to hide. 

She was a beautiful woman, but she was one of those women who had absolutely no idea that she was beautiful. When we were together, men my age looked at her instead of me. I didn't blame them either. 

Naomi told me once it was because she allowed people to see her figure, while I wore baggy, shapeless clothes. Which was also part of the reason why she wanted me to wear tighter shirts. I, however, liked my baggy clothes.

"Someone from work?" I was curious who could actually pique my mom's interest. 

"No," she said. "I met him at the grocery store."

The...grocery store. 

What kind of midlife crisis meeting was that? 

I couldn't help but laugh. "Produce section?" 

She laughed too. "No, no. The pharmacy. I know, so much better."

"Oh." I was laughing harder now. "Hopefully he wasn't buying any hemorrhoid cream. Or erection medicine. That makes for a bad time if he can't get it up."

"Nova Bara," she admonished, even though she had no anger in her voice. She was trying to hold back her laughter, though she wasn't doing too well in that regard. 

Every single time I talked to her, I wanted to drop everything and go visit her. It really had been too long. 

"How's your love life?" I knew the question was coming, and I was dreading it. 

Well, mom. I had sex with a werewolf for six hours and still don't feel completely normal. I'm attracted to three men at once, and of course, they're all from the paranormal race. Funny right? 

No. 

"Same as usual," I said. "Pretty anticlimactic."

My mom did not need to know about any of the things going on in my life, especially my so-called love life where I was attracted to three people at once. She'd lose her damn mind. Then she'd lose it again when I told her it was two werewolves and a vampire. 

When I say I was adamant about never being with someone from the paranormal race…I meant it. 

"Sweetie," she said, concerned, "aren't you lonely?" 

"Were you lonely?" It wasn't the nicest comeback, but it slipped out. 

"Yes," she answered. 

I felt my heart constrict. I knew it, but she never admitted to it. There had been a time I asked her if she was lonely, back when I was seventeen, and she told me she could never be lonely with me. I knew it was a total lie, but to hear her admit she really was made me feel like I should have done more. 

There had been a time I almost made her a dating profile, but couldn't figure out how to go about explaining that to her when I found her a match. Also, I would have declined anything that wasn't human. 

Speaking of. 

"Is he human?" She was probably expecting it. 

The long pause told me he wasn't. 

"He's a vampire." She had a slight tremor to her voice, and I knew it wasn't because she was afraid of him. If anything, she was afraid of how I'd react. 

So I tamped down the automatic rejection and let myself breathe for a second. I couldn't get angry at her when one of the men I was attracted to was also a vampire. Though I will say her track record with vampires wasn't the best. 

I hummed instead of responding. 

"That's a better response than what I was expecting," she said.

"Well," I looked at my clock beneath my television, "I can't say I'm thrilled, but it's not like I know the guy and can make any sort of judgement about him."

It was her turn to be quiet for a moment. "Nova…are you sure nothing has happened?" 

Time to hang up. 

I played it off the best I could, but even as we said goodbye, I knew that she was even more curious than she had been before. Which wasn't good. At all.