ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕊𝕚𝕩𝕥𝕪 ℕ𝕚𝕟𝕖

Selene was a beautiful woman, even clouded in sadness. Her hair was long and black, shining under the lights. Unlike mine, her hair was naturally that color. And her eyes...Lord, those eyes could have brought me in faster than I could say sky blue if it weren't for the fact that I was juggling three men. It didn't take long for Kieran to notice my piqued interest, and he raised his eyebrows in surprise.

I could appreciate a woman's beauty, could I not?

She looked at me for the third time since she sat down. She hadn't said anything yet, but it looked like she wanted to. Which was part of the reason why I just let her look at me and bring herself to say what she needed to say.

Lucian and Kyler sat in their original spots by the wall. Lucian was still angry, while I couldn't really figure out Kyler's feelings. He just kept his eyes on me, and a part of me thought he looked like he was worried I'd disappear if he tore his eyes away for too long. I hated the fact that what I'd done made him like that. I hated seeing him worry about me.

I shouldn't have left without telling them, even though Jason asked me to. I should have figured out a way, like how I texted Naomi with my location before I left. What would have happened if Naomi hadn't seen the text? I wouldn't be alive - well, as alive as I could be without a heartbeat.

The more time that passed, the more the shock of what happened faded into anger. But it wasn't the time for anger. Not yet.

"Thank you," Selene finally said, her eyes meeting mine once again.

I felt my lips curl down into a frown before I could stop it. I wasn't sure why she was saying thank you. I didn't do anything. I went there and got killed.

"I know." She sighed like I had said something in return. "You went there for Jason, or because of Jason, but I know eventually you would have told them I was there too."

How would she have known that? I would have, but she didn't know me well enough to decide whether I would have saved her or not.

I tore my eyes away from her and looked at the ground. Why was it so difficult for me to accept her thanks? Maybe because I originally went there strictly for Jason's body. Of course I would have told Kieran where I'd been, regardless of his wrath. But I didn't really go there for her.

"I did go there for Jason," I said. "Or, because of Jason."

She nodded. "They killed him in front of me."

I grimaced. "I'm sorry."

"They killed you too," she whispered, her eyes never leaving me.

I wasn't sure if she was looking for a reaction. I'd already had multiple mental breakdowns because of the fact they killed me, also the fact that my heart wasn't beating anymore. Yet there I was, still living, if one could even call it that. I wouldn't consider myself living until my heart decided to beat again.

It wasn't just Vincenzo's doing. It was Alaric's doing as well. He could have stopped it. He could have done something, yet he stood there. Watching. There was absolutely no emotion on his face at all. It was like he saw that kind of thing happen every day.

Her eyes softened, and I realized my hand had come up to my throat.

"If it's any consolation," she said, "you'll get used to being a full vampire, in time."

That was the wrong thing to say, and everyone knew it except for her. I opened my mouth to respond, but Kieran had his hand over my mouth so quickly that I didn't even have a chance. She apparently realized her mistake with that action, and her eyes fell to the floor.

The anger was building. It wasn't at her. She was a victim in all this, even more so than I was. She watched someone she obviously cared about die, and she was held captive for however long. I wasn't sure what they did to her, and looking at her, I wasn't sure I wanted to know. All I knew was that something needed to be done. Whether that be my doing, or someone else's.

Vincenzo needed to go.

I bit hard into Kieran's hand and he let out a startled noise that had Selene's eyes widening. In fact, it had everyone's eyes widening, even my own. It wasn't a pained startled noise. It was almost like it felt good.

I moved away from him slowly, eyeing him.

"Son of a bitch." He lifted his hand and licked at the wound, which began closing itself moments after I'd bitten into it. His eyes flicked to meet mine, then away.

Oh.

It wasn't a startled noise at all. Sure, the fact that I bit him shocked him, but it had felt good. That was odd, since I was trying to make it hurt. The good thing was, his reaction to it made the rising anger fall to absolutely nothing, for the moment.

Lucian blinked at him. "Keep it in your pants."

"It's in my pants," Kieran shot back. "But I'm not sure why my dick is of any concern when it comes to her. I don't question you."

Touchy.

Selene's eyes widened even more, then she looked between Kieran, Lucian, and me. Her eyes finally came to rest on her master.

"What has happened since I've been gone?" Her lip curled slightly upwards in the hint of a grin.

There was a lot that happened while she was locked up in a cellar being tortured by my so-called father and his master. Most of which was not something she needed to be privy to. If our roles were reversed, I would have definitely been pissed off that my master was out screwing some half-vampire instead of looking for me. Though maybe he looked for her on the days he wasn't around.

"A lot," Kyler supplied, eyeing me. "Quite a lot."

Selene grinned then, looking at me. "Oh, I like you."