ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕊𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕪 ℕ𝕚𝕟𝕖

When my mom and I emerged from my guest bedroom, Kieran, Lucian, and Kyler were gone. My chest felt tight, but I turned and began cooking for my mom to try and get her mind off of my father. Her favorite food was carbonara with a side of garlic bread, so that's exactly what I made. The food would keep her mind off of Alaric, and cooking would get my mind off the stupid choice I made.

They were right. If they couldn't handle it, they wouldn't have continued putting themselves through it. But what would happen if one day they decided they couldn't handle it anymore because I couldn't, or wouldn't, choose?

In the end, it seemed I was only thinking about my feelings.

Though jealousy was a horrible feeling, and I did believe they only put themselves through it solely for the fact that they thought I'd choose one of them one day, they were doing it to themselves.

Good job, me. Changing your mind when you've already kicked them out.

"Where did your friends go," my mom asked.

I shrugged. "Not sure. I told them that we'd be okay for the night, so I'm assuming they went home."

I told them to go home because I wanted to stop fucking them. Or I thought I did.

Man, I needed help.

I made some makeshift garlic bread out of bread slices, some butter, and some garlic powder. It wasn't the good garlic bread, but with it being last minute, all I could do was improvise.

When the food was done, my mom sat at the table and actually grinned when she saw the so-called garlic bread.

"You can't have pasta without it," I said, spinning the pasta around my fork. "Anyone who is anyone knows that."

"You had all the ingredients to make carbonara," she held up a piece of the bread, "but didn't have garlic bread."

"Don't judge my bread, mother." I stuffed a fork-full of food into my mouth and chewed.

I didn't mind cooking, and I was pretty decent at it, but most of the time I just lacked the motivation. Especially if I was just cooking for myself. I had no issues cooking for other people.

"Which one are you in love with?" My mom's question had my back stiffening.

I kept my eyes on my food like I was fifteen again and she caught me texting someone I had no business to be texting. The cold feeling of nervousness settled in my stomach as I debated on how to respond. I could say none of them, but she wouldn't have asked if she hadn't seen something.

"Because," she continued, "all three of them seem to be in love with you."

I finally looked at her. "We're nothing."

"Nothing," she repeated, nodding. "Kind of seems odd to say you are nothing when they look like they'd burn down the entire world just to see you smile."

"You were around them for maybe three hours." I attempted to deflect, though I should have known better with her. Or I could have done a better job at it.

"Nova." Her voice became gentle. "They watched you like a hawk the entire time. And when Merlin started acting like a fanboy, as you called it, they looked like they wanted to kill him."

I set my fork down, suddenly not hungry. "I didn't think..."

"That I was paying attention?" She smiled. "While I was quite out of it from the news, one would had to have been passed out or dead to not notice."

My shoulders slumped. None of them had outright said they loved me, but I think I knew they at least had some feelings towards me. They had to have felt something if they were willing to sleep with me as many times as they had - whether that be lust or something else.

Maybe I was naive. Or playing stupid.

Either way, it would do all four of us good if we spent some time away from each other for a bit. I was hoping they'd think about what I said, regardless of how quickly I went back on my decision. If they decided I was right, I could say the good old fashioned "I told you so" and leave it at that, even though the idea of it hurt to think about.

"So," she waited for me to look her in the eye, "which one are you in love with?"

I shook my head, a denial ready to spring to my lips. Because that was what I always did. I felt like I had to keep up this farce with her even though it was obvious I didn't hate the paranormal race anymore.

I felt my eyes burn. "All of them."

She nodded like she already knew. I hadn't expected any judgement from her. I just didn't realize I was going to be admitting my attraction for people I would have used to turn my nose up at.

My mom stood and walked over to me before wrapping her arms around my shoulders. She pulled me close, and I wrapped my hands around her waist. I clenched my eyes shut against the threat of tears, holding them in for the umpteenth time that day.

I told them to leave, and they did. I had no right to feel pity for myself.

"Then allow yourself to love them," she said. "I think all three of them wouldn't mind."

I pulled away, staring at her incredulously. "You're telling me to be in a relationship with three people at once?"

She shrugged. "Why not?"

Most would look at a relationship like that and call it all sorts of names. The idea of a polyamorous relationship generally made people turn away in disgust or judgement. While I knew my mom wouldn't judge me for having feelings for three men at once, I definitely didn't expect her to tell me to go for it.

"Because there are three of them," I said, like maybe she didn't understand how many people were involved.

"Sounds a lot like you're making excuses." She grabbed my make-shift garlic bread and walked back to her seat. "I can't begin to explain to you how much I wish I had three men like that."

I couldn't help but grin. "What happened with grocery man?"

Her eyes widened. "But that's only one."

I outright laughed. While not really an answer, it was answer enough. She was still seeing him. She seemed pretty happy about it too, even though he only equaled one versus my three.

"Let yourself live in the moment without worries of the future." She smiled before taking a bite of my garlic bread. "Worry about that moment if you ever get there. For now, let them love you, and for the love of all that is holy and unholy, tell them you love them if you haven't already."

I glanced down at my food, nodding. She was right, of course.

But how the hell was I supposed to tell them I loved them without looking like a complete idiot?