ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝔽𝕚𝕗𝕥𝕪 ℕ𝕚𝕟𝕖

"So," Lucian leaned back on my couch and smirked, "Adler."

I narrowed my eyes. "Remember when I said I'd be at the top if I was in a room full of my kind? He doesn't like that. At all."

Kyler sat down to my left and pressed his shoulder against mine, warming that one part of my body with his substantial body heat. They still didn't seem to be the same temperature that they were before their rut.

"So," I threw the smirk right back at him, moving the conversation away from me, "your rut."

Lucian puffed out a laugh. "I remained locked in my room, as I usually do. I needed to be there for the new members who were going through their first rut or heat."

"So you didn't," I hedged, motioning vaguely towards my nether regions.

His eyes glittered. "No. I didn't."

I eyed Kyler. He had to have.

He blinked down at me. "I didn't either."

"Is that why your body heat is still about ten thousand degrees Fahrenheit," I teased, trying to overlook the fact that them not having sex with anyone else made me happy.

I had no right to be that way, yet I couldn't stop the light feeling in my chest. Did I think they did it because of me? Absolutely not. How was I to know they didn't do this every time, even before me? Lucian did say that he usually locked himself away. I wasn't sure why. He wasn't known to be the most celibate.

"Yes," Lucian answered. "Our temperature goes down with time, if we don't mate with someone during our rut."

I hummed.

"We've been trying to find Jason on top of everything else." He shrugged one shoulder. "Last night was a good night to try and find him."

"Did you?" I was hopeful that they did, but by the look on their faces, they didn't.

Kyler shook his head. "No. But I think I felt him. He's close, and I narrowed down a direction, but we'd still be searching blindly because I'm not sure if he's still in town or just right outside of it."

It was good they had a direction at least. Though I'm sure they would have liked to have been able to go out and find him. Common sense told me they probably couldn't go out when they were leaking pheromones. It would have given them away.

If it came down to it, on their next rut, I'd offer to go find him. By that time, I should know how to at least defend myself well enough that I wouldn't need someone to come to my rescue. At least, I hoped. My main concern with that route though, was the fact that I didn't know if he'd still be alive in four more months.

"I feel like I should be doing more than I am," I admitted. "All I've done is let you guys 'protect' me on top of trying to find him yourself. Kieran is in the same boat. I don't know how you get anything done when one of you has to be with me."

Thankfully they had been easing up a little on the following me around thing. They weren't always with me anymore during the day, which told me they didn't think there was that big of a threat to my life either.

I knew I had to keep pretending I was playing the middle-man, when I really wasn't doing anything to help either of them. I'd be there if Jason ended up dying and his spirit stayed behind, but who knew if they were planning on killing him, or even if he'd stay behind?

So honestly I was the most worthless in their search for their people. I knew that deep down the entire time, but I didn't admit that to myself until just that moment.

"You're doing more than you think." Lucian smiled slightly. "If your father is a part of this, which we have no reason to believe he isn't, and they are watching you...then they see you going between us and Kieran."

"And if they aren't watching me?" That was the real question.

"You're still helping," he said. "You're just on standby in case something bad happens to Jason."

I wasn't trying to fish for compliments, but it was good to hear they thought I was still useful. Or I was going to be useful if shit hit the fan.

I nodded, then stood. I was uncomfortable, and needed to excuse myself in the best way I could find.

"I'll be back," I said, then walked away, mentally congratulating myself at the non-awkward getaway. It took all I had not to throw the peace sign up and tell them I'd be back in a jiffy like I was living in the seventies.

I closed my door and sighed, then grabbed my pajamas off of my bed and went to the bathroom. I changed quickly, then eyed myself in the mirror.

I never saw myself as worthless, though when it came down to actually helping someone with something more important than raising a body, all I could do was sit back and let it happen. I'd been raising bodies my entire life. It was nothing for me. I'd also been drinking blood my entire life - which literally helped absolutely no one. I was strong, yes. But I never used that strength to help anyone.

I needed to do more.

When I exited the bathroom, I stopped dead in my tracks. Lucian stood a couple feet away from the door, his arms crossed, and an eyebrow cocked up in challenge.

"I have never seen you so down on yourself," he said.

I smiled slightly. "Surprise."

He puffed out a laugh - which I knew was completely out of pity. He stepped towards me, then placed his hands on my shoulders.

"Stop being so hard on yourself." He smiled. "You're helping more than you even realize."

I shrugged.

"Hey," he pulled me closer to him until my body was pressed against his, "you're such a badass, a meathead bastard like Adler sees you as a threat. Imagine how he would have reacted if you would have used those new moves on him. Would have embarrassed the hell out of him."

Imagining it brought a laugh to my lips. I could see it, and I wished I would have done more than just pushed him away. My muscle memory was good enough to where I could have brought him down with one of the moves Kieran had taught me. I really should have.

"There's that cute laugh." Lucian's hands slid down until they rested at my hips, a smile curling his lips.

The laugh died slowly, and all I could do was stare up into his eyes, astounded that he could make that self doubt disappear so quickly.

He leaned his head down and placed his lips close to mine. I could feel his hot breath on my skin. It made my entire body erupt in goosebumps.

I closed the distance, pressing my lips against his gently. He allowed me to lead, opening to me when I ran my tongue over his full bottom lip. The hands on my hips gripped harder and he hummed as our tongues moved against one another.

When I felt another pair of hands on my arms, I stilled, my eyes shooting open.

Lucian peeked one eye open, and I felt his lips curl against mine.

"Say no and I'll leave," Kyler murmured against my neck, his breath tickling the tiny hairs there.

Oh, fuck.

I pulled my lips away from Lucian. He looked down at me, probably fully expecting me to say no. But the words didn't come.

They gave me long enough to consider and give them an answer, but when I could only stare up at Lucian wide-eyed and with my breath caught in my chest, they had their answer.

Kyler licked the shell of my ear before suckling the lobe into his mouth.

Lucian watched my reaction to Kyler with a heated expression on his face. "Bed. Now."

*****
A/N: Fun fact: I already had plans to do a threesome 😏