ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 ℕ𝕚𝕟𝕖𝕥𝕪 𝔽𝕚𝕧𝕖

I was still on the floor of Vincenzo's office when my eyes opened. Thankfully, the entire house didn't collapse on top of me. Though it looked like there was a lot of damage done after I passed out.

I lifted my hand to my chest. I didn't know what I expected to feel. My heart beating? No, he definitely crushed my heart. It wouldn't beat again, unless I could figure out how to get it started again.

I rolled my head to the side to look at Vincenzo, who stared wide-eyed at the ceiling. His face seemed to be perpetually stuck in a horrified expression, like he couldn't believe the kind of person I was.

I couldn't believe the kind of person I was. It had to have caught him off guard.

A large black wolf rounded the desk and when our eyes met, it's head raised in a howl.

Who the hell-

Two more wolves came around the desk. One of them was light brown with dustings of white, the other was white with black-tipped ears. Their eyes fell on me, and the white one dashed away.

I reached out, and the black wolf came forward and lowered its head. I rubbed its snout, closing my eyes. They all seemed so nervous. But what was there to be nervous about? If the zombies did what they were supposed to, none of the vampires in the house were alive anymore.

Though I guess my father hadn't been in the house, if what the female vampire said was right. That would be annoying. I didn't have any way to find him, and if he didn't come back, then we'd have to look over our shoulders for him.

If he came back while we were still there, I was worried I didn't have the energy to do what I needed to do to finish the job.

"I'm okay," I said, my voice hoarse.

The black wolf chuffed like it didn't believe me.

I smiled slightly. "You're one of Lucian's, aren't you?"

It harrumphed.

"Nova!"

"Took you long enough," I said, opening my eyes to see Lucian rushing towards me.

He stared at me like I was crazy. "Kieran wouldn't let us come in. He said you practically ordered us to stay outside, you fucking insane-"

His eyes fell on the ground beneath me, then slid over to Vincenzo, like he just realized what had happened.

The black wolf raised its head, but only slightly to be able to see Lucian's body language. It blinked slowly, then turned his head to look at Vincenzo as well. No, maybe not Vincenzo exactly. But what was in his mangled hand.

I looked too, seeing my heart. I watched it, and an odd sort of relief filled me when it pumped once. My heart was still beating. Good. Though I didn't want to think about what it's fate was when Merlin got ahold of it. Poor thing.

I closed my eyes again. "Have you seen Alaric?"

"Your zombies killed him." Kieran's voice was relaxed, and I opened my eyes again to see that not only him, but Kyler was there as well.

I thought the pain had been from my heart being crushed. If it hadn't been that, then there was only one other option. I knew a vampire felt pain when their sire died, but I never looked too far into it because I didn't think it would matter to me. Since I wasn't sired by normal means, I didn't think it would hurt that damn bad.

I rolled to my side and pushed myself up. I grabbed my heart, cringed when it expanded and contracted in my hand, and found the container with the liquid. If I didn't have to hold my heart, maybe I could pretend that it wasn't mine.