ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕊𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕪 𝔼𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥

Kieran, Lucian, and Kyler wanted to talk to me. That much was evident by the way they stared at me the moment I walked back in. But they wouldn't bring anything up around my mom, no matter how out of it she looked.

I ignored them and went to her, kneeling in front of her.

Her eyes raised and met mine, and hers were red with unshed tears.

"Your father," she whispered.

I nodded. "I met him recently. Though not on purpose."

"He took your heart." Her voice was still quiet, but it turned flat, almost like she was numb.

"Apparently so." I shrugged. "But he's part of the reason why I was holding off on having you visit. His master was causing a bit of an uproar here, and I was helping them try and find him."

When I motioned towards the three men, who had been oddly silent since I told them that we needed to stop everything, she looked over at them. She took her time looking at all of them, then nodded and turned back to me.

She would never blame them for what happened to me. While most people looked for someone to blame, my mom saw it for what it was. It wasn't really any of their fault. It wasn't even mine. Though I should have seen through Jason's plan for what it was.

She used to tell me that one should own up to their own mistakes, rather than attempting to find the fault in other people.

She could blame them. She could blame me. She could blame Vincenzo and Alaric. There were so many people she could blame, but she wouldn't.

I touched her arm. "It will be okay, mom."

"I only spent the one night with him," she said. "But I would have never guessed he'd do something like this. He was so kind."

That was probably because he was high off of the blood from two other people before her. Hell if I'd tell her that though. I didn't want to ruin it all for her.

"I'm sorry," I said.

She shook her head. "It was my fault for holding on to this hope that one day maybe he'd find me again."

I was about to reply but she stood and excused herself. She disappeared into the guest bedroom and after the click of the lock, the house went silent.

Kieran grabbed my arm and hauled me to my feet before dragging me behind him towards my room. Kyler and Lucian followed behind, eyes on me as I struggled to get loose from Kieran's grip. I knew what they were doing, and I wouldn't change my mind.

Kieran pulled me into my room and Lucian shut the door behind him when Kyler and him came through.

"Why do you want to stop," Kieran demanded.

"My mother just found out that the guy she had a kid with is a fucking maniac and you're worried about why I want to stop fucking you?" If my mom wasn't in the house, I was sure my voice would have become shrill with the absurdity of it all.

Lucian and Kyler shared a look.

I threw my hands up. "This is ridiculous. I should have never started this with you three to begin with. If this situation is making you jealous, why put yourselves through this?"

"That's the thing," Lucian said. "We're putting ourselves through it. It's our choice. If we couldn't handle it, we wouldn't be here."

"You're doing it because each of you think that eventually I'll choose." I looked at all three of them in turn. "You're putting yourselves through these feelings of jealousy and anger towards each other with a hope that I'll eventually cut two of you off."

Kieran shook his head.

"No," I said, holding my hand up to him. "You of all people can't deny it."

I closed my eyes, fighting back emotions I had no right to be feeling. Call me a whore if you wish, but I loved all three of them. Did I have that right? No, absolutely I didn't. And the more I let myself think about it, the more I realized how horrible I was for it. At no point had I thought what emotions this would bring up for them. Or had I not cared? No, truly I never even thought about it.

"Do you want to know what we think?" Kyler seemed cool and collected everywhere but his eyes. His eyes held something akin to panic and I felt horrible for putting that there.

"No." I didn't. "I won't allow myself to live forever, I can't become a Luna, and I can't mate. This has to end eventually."

"It doesn't," Lucian argued. "There has to be more to this than you wanting to get rid of whatever jealousy we may feel for each other."

The longer the conversation drew on, the harder it was getting for me. I could continue doing whatever it was we were doing. Go with the flow. But eventually it would end, and the longer it took, the more it would hurt when it did.

I smiled, even as my lips threatened to tremble.

"I need to get back to my mom." My voice came out slightly broken. "Feel free to leave. I think I'll be okay for the night."

Lucian and Kyler didn't move away from the door.

"Please," I whispered.

I wasn't going to be able to make it out the door without crying if this kept up. I hated what I was doing, but I also hated the fact that I didn't want to stop it at all. It had to be done though. Right?

Alphas started looking weak without a Luna eventually. If his pack didn't fully respect him, or he brought in someone who questioned his authority, bad things could happen. I wasn't fully knowledgeable of wereanimals and their laws, but I did know the alpha eventually needed a Luna. It was a part of their hierarchy.

They stepped aside simultaneously, allowing me to pass.

I didn't know if they'd still be in my house once I finished comforting my mom. If they weren't, maybe it would be easier to pretend I was okay. Having them around would only make it harder to fake a smile.

"We aren't done talking about this," Kieran called after me.

I glanced back at him. "Yes, I believe we are."

"No," Lucian said. "We're not."

I shook my head. Of course they'd make it difficult.

"If we couldn't handle it, we wouldn't be here," he repeated.

"Just think about it for longer than two seconds and you'll see that I'm right." I turned and walked away before I could say something I'd regret. Like admitting maybe the reason I was stopping it was to save my own feelings, on top of wanting to get rid of their jealousy towards each other.

*****
A/N: Three updates for you because I've been writing in this like a maniac to try and get to the scene I really want to write 😂 not there yet but we're getting there, folks. But first...angst.

Since I published three updates, there will not be one this Friday.

Happy Wednesday~