ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕆𝕟𝕖 ℍ𝕦𝕟𝕕𝕣𝕖𝕕 𝕋𝕨𝕠

Kieran pulled up to the edge of the woods that led up to Lucian's pack house. I wasn't sure how to get up there, so Lucian was sending one of his wolves to come get me. It didn't look like they were there yet.

"You did a great job," Kieran said. "If they weren't sure of you before, they are now."

"Besides Mateo and Paul." I glanced out the window, watching for either a person or a wolf to appear from between the trees.

I wondered who he would send. Kyler? Probably not. The two of them were probably working on something, and Lucian would have said he was sending Kyler to come get me, rather than being vague. I was a bit worried about who it could be, speaking that the wrong person could probably maul me to death before I could utter a word.

"They'll be taken care of." Kieran's voice made me turn to look back at him.

"I'm surprised Mateo hasn't been taken care of yet." I watched him. "Is there a thing there I should worry about?"

"Mateo was a good friend of mine." He sighed. "But his father was the master vampire, and I made it clear I wanted the position. After I took the position, he did what he could to get over it, but I think my being happy is rubbing him the wrong way. Paul just goes along with everything Mateo does and still somehow doesn't see me as the master."

I shook my head in disbelief. They used to be friends, back when Kieran wasn't the master. Did Mateo have a problem with him being in power, or did he have a problem with how Kieran took the position? Vampires weren't the same as wereanimals. They could kill the master to take over, but generally the position was handed over. I wondered which route Kieran took, and decided it was probably the former. It would explain better why Mateo was so bitter.

While Kieran has been holding his head through it all, I refused to. They wanted their master to have a bond that could be a leader. They'd get one.

"You're going to kick his ass, aren't you?" Kieran grinned.

"Yes," I answered honestly. "I'd like to see his power so I can use it against him."

"You've seen it." He tilted his head. "You've also replicated it multiple times. His power is speed. You know those moments where everything seems to slow around you? That's his power."

I mimicked his power without even realizing it? I thought I gained speed out of anger, or even because of the blood lust. Maybe the first time I fought with Mateo had been blood lust, or maybe it was my powers coming to the surface. It was before we realized I could mimic powers on top of fighting moves, so it could have been either.

I hummed and looked back out the window, seeing the large form of a brown wolf appear between the trees. It wagged its tail when it saw me and I placed my hand over Kieran's in a goodbye before getting out.

"Hello, Kenna." I ran my fingers through the thick brown fur on her head and she let me, lowering her eyes as I did.

She poked my leg with her nose and wagged her tail again. Then she peeked around me, to where Kieran sat in his car, and chuffed. I turned and waved at him, then began walking in the direction from where Kenna came from.

She stuck her nose between my legs and lifted her head, lifting me off of my feet. I yelped, catching myself on a tree before I fell over.

"Woman," I admonished.

She lowered herself to the ground and wiggled her body.

"You want me to get on your back, don't you?" I sighed.

Honestly, it would make the trek easier and much faster if I got onto her back. But I felt odd using her as a pack mule. I could walk, I just didn't know how to get to the pack house.

She made a noise that told me I was right.

I puffed out a breath. I could say no, and she'd either have to force me, or just lead the way. But since it was getting late, I didn't want a repeat of the last time I attempted to walk through a wooded area at night.

I got onto her back and wrapped my arms around her neck before she stood to her full height. It still astounded me how big they were. They weren't the size of normal wolves at all.

Kind of like wolves jacked up on steroids.

She started walking, and when I relaxed into her, she picked up her pace, easily dodging trees while making sure I wasn't jostled around too much. Honestly, it was somewhat relaxing. I knew that at least Kenna wouldn't actively go out of her way to harm me. If they'd sent anyone else in the pack, I wouldn't have even agreed to riding them.

I looked around, watching as trees sped past us. The only sounds I could hear were her paws hitting the earth, and the wind rushing past me. It was getting darker by the second, but Kenna moved like she had ran through these woods her entire life.

When we got to the pack house, I slid off of Kenna and watched as she transformed back into her human form. It was astonishing, really. To see all that fur disappear into smooth skin.

She had a light coating of sweat across her body, and she ran her fingers through her hair to get it out of her face.

She grinned at me before motioning me inside the house. "I need to wash up. I'll be in soon. Go in, take a left, and follow the hallway down. You'll find the room we'll be meeting in. I think Kyler should be in there by now."

I thanked her and headed inside, even as she rounded the outside of the house. The confidence wolves had being naked was amazing. I would have probably done everything I could to cover myself, but that wasn't how wolves operated. I wondered idly what it would be like to be a wolf with self esteem issues.

I entered the room at the end of the hallway and Kyler's head raised. The smile he gave me almost took the breath from my lungs.

Why was he so pretty? Lord.

"They'll be in soon," Lucian said from behind me.

I spun around and almost tripped over my own feet. He grabbed my wrist and kept me upright, his eyebrows raised.

I slapped his chest, narrowing my eyes. "You scared me!"

He pulled me closer to him, a grin tilting his lips. When I felt Kyler step up behind me, I tensed.

"Relax," Kyler said into my ear. "We don't have enough time for that. Yet."

He brushed his lips over my neck before pulling away.

I glanced up at Lucian, and his eyes held something wolfish. And it wasn't his wolf. He was promising me something dark, and dirty, and probably something that would last hours.

"I can't wait to mark you," Lucian murmured. "To be inside of you as I bite into this little area" - he nipped at the sensitive skin between my neck and shoulder - "is something I've craved since you first came here."

I blew out a breath. Leave it to them to turn me on before I had to meet their entire pack.