ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 ℕ𝕚𝕟𝕖𝕥𝕪 ℕ𝕚𝕟𝕖

I was able to see my mother the next day. I walked into her room, my eyes finding the bags of fluid attached to the IV pole next to her. Her eyes were on the television - which one would think they'd upgrade from a tiny box in the corner to a more modern one, but who was I to judge? I didn't fund the hospital.

Her head turned and she looked at me. Then she smiled, and I lost any regret I may have had about killing Vincenzo. If I hadn't, she wouldn't be smiling. Likely, she would have been dead.

"You saved my life," she said. "At least, that's what the necromancer boy said."

I raised my eyebrows. "Necromancer boy?"

Her eyebrows furrowed like she was trying to remember. "I don't remember his name. Asher? He's cute and has tattoos."

Adler.

"When did he come?" I tilted my head, glancing at the door. "You weren't allowed visitors until only recently."

"He left about five minutes before you came in." She shrugged. "Said he wanted to make sure I was alive and kicking before he headed back home. He told me you went through a lot of...trouble...to save me."

It was my turn to shrug. It was better to not worry her with the details. Even so, I wondered if she knew about Alaric, and if she did, did she care? A part of me thought that after everything, she wouldn't have given two shits. But another part of me questioned that.

"You killed Vincenzo." Her eyes never left mine. Her tone wasn't accusatory, or even hateful. It seemed she was saying it out loud to verify it by my reaction.

I nodded slowly. "I did."

"And ordered the zombies to kill everyone in the house." Again, not accusatory. Just a statement.

I nodded again, because what was there to say? Yeah, mom, I killed someone with my own hands and then turned around and commanded a bunch of zombies to slaughter everyone else in the house. By the way, did you know I could mimic everyone's powers as long as I can see it happen?

I chewed the inside of my cheek.

She gave me a small smile. "You are so strong, Nova. The necromancer was barely holding onto his excitement when he was telling me the story."

That was a shocker. Adler, excited? About me? I wasn't sure if he was on medicine, but he sure as hell should be if that was the case.

When she saw my face, she laughed.

I didn't care for Adler, and Adler practically wished I was dead. Being one of the people who initially told everyone of my power, he made sure no necromancer would ever come to my aide if I needed it. That was how it had been for years. People followed him, for some unknown reason. Maybe it was the confidence he had in himself, but the moment he told everyone that I wasn't truly one of them, they all turned their backs on me.

That was part of the reason I called him for help in the first place. If he requested assistance from other necromancers, they'd be sure to follow. Though I hadn't expected necromancers from other countries to show up as well. I wondered what had changed.

"How did you find me?" She pressed the power button on the remote that had to have been forty years old.

I blew out a breath and looked at the now-black screen of the television. "I contacted Merlin."

I felt, rather than saw, her disapproval. Surely she hadn't been okay with me murdering people but drew the line at Merlin?

I faced her, and saw her eyebrows were drawn together. She knew he could find my heart, and while the last meeting had been free, I guessed something in the way I said my response told her that this time it wasn't.

"What did you do," she asked.

To tell her the truth, or not? I was sure she could ask Merlin to verify whatever it was I said, and I was sure she would if she didn't believe me. And to be honest, I didn't think Merlin would lie, even if I told him to. I still hadn't contacted him to come collect my heart, but truth be told, I knew he'd be able to locate it again if need be. I couldn't just hide it away somewhere hoping he'd never ask for it. If I said I lost it, he could just find it again and get it. He made it perfectly clear that he wanted my heart, no matter the damage.

I decided to tell her the truth.

"I gave him my heart," I said. "Well, I signed a contract that stated I'd give him my heart when I retrieved it. I haven't called him yet to come get it."

Her mouth opened, then closed. She was holding back what she really wanted to say. Her eyes shut for a moment, and I counted to five in my head before she opened them again.

"You sold your heart to a death mage to save me," she said, her voice astounded.

Out of everything, that was what she decided was a no-go? I knew she wouldn't have the greatest reaction to the news, but I assumed she'd be more shocked at the fact that I literally murdered someone, rather than me giving my heart away to find her.

Priorities.

Also, the way she said it made it sound really bad.

"What is he going to do with it?" I wondered if she knew. I didn't know how close she was with Merlin.

She shook her head. "Nothing, if I have anything to do with it."

"I signed a contract," I reiterated.

She smiled ever so slightly, and I saw the gleam in her eyes. "Don't worry, honey."

I wasn't sure why, but that was scarier than the idea that a death mage was going to have my heart. A part of me felt bad for Merlin, though another part of me didn't care at all. Truth be told, I actually found it quite humorous. If my mom could make that contract null and void, then I'd be able to keep my heart. Though I still wasn't sure how I'd go about putting it back in my body. I didn't think I could do it. I'd probably throw up if I tried.

"So," my mom grinned, and my stomach curled nervously, "how's that relationship going?"