Chapter 9

Liam's POV

I was led out of the room by the three of them as we walked the vast and beautiful hallway. Huge paintings hang over the wall and artifacts were placed just below them.

It wasn't like a castle. It WAS a castle.

Natalie and Kayne flanked me on both sides and I was facing Ryder's back as he strode in front of us. I could see the muscles shifting on his back through his clothes and I didn't let my eyes linger for a moment longer because when I look at him, I feel weird.

Commander. He was a commander of vampires. He- they were... Mons-.

I didn't let the thought finish as I shuddered. Natalie glanced at me and I felt like I was a trembling deer in her eyes.

As we rounded a corner, I saw large wooden doors opening up to another room. My breathing stopped at the atmosphere I could sense in the room just in front of us. It was so powerful. So cold.

There were 2 guards positioned at both sides of the door and I knew that they were vampires from the pale complexion of their skin.

I gave the three of them a pleading look and took a step back as I shook my head. Ryder immediately turned and grabbed me by the arm, making me flinch.

He furrowed his brows and a muscle in his jaw ticked as he looked at me.

"You will only speak when you are asked to. You will not ask questions, and you will not do anything stupid, do you hear me?" I swallowed the lump forming in my throat as his irises began to glow a gold color.

I nodded my head as my eyes threatened to burn. I pulled my arm away from him and caressed the spot that will most likely bruise.

He looked at me for a moment longer before nodding to the guards to open the door. My knees threatened to buckle as soon as the door opened with a creak.

I don't know if I was still breathing but I'm sure no human being would after seeing this.

The words I would use to describe it were... A grand throne room fitted for a powerful ruler.

A wide and long red carpet stretched out to the end of the stairs where the ground separated from the dais and the gold throne. Tall ornate pillars lined our way, reached the top of the dome ceiling where it was most likely painted of their history.

This room was the largest I've ever seen. The floor was a beige marble that was so polished, the walls were a brilliant white and everything around here screamed 'Royalty'.

I was quickly brought back to reality when a chill went down my spine. I didn't notice at first but now, not only can I feel it, but I can also see it.

Multiple crimson red eyes followed me as I walked in their den. I could feel my pulse getting louder by the second and when I heard a sudden click, I jumped and instinctively went closer to Ryder.

Our arms made contact and goosebumps immediately pricked my skin. I knew that he also felt something because he tensed at the sudden contact.

I was about to mumble an apology but I became suddenly aware of a threatening and powerful presence. The air felt heavy and all of the vampires in the room were instantly kneeling on one knee towards...

Their ruler.

With hair as bright as gold, a body as strong as a warrior, an appearance that is out of this world, and a presence that oozes authority. He wore a black regal outfit and a golden royal mantle robe that identifies him as the one who holds all power. His youthful appearance enthralled me but I knew that he lived for a long amount of time.

His powerful vermilion eyes settled at me and I inhaled a sharp breath.

"Rise."

He spoke and his deep voice boomed in the enclosed space. Every vampire rose at his command and he continued to stare at me as if he's looking right into my soul.

"Is he the human, Ryder?" He asked and Ryder stepped forward before answering him.

"He is, your Grandness."

His gaze once again slid to me and he leaned on the other side of his seat. He placed a finger under his chin and scanned me from head to toe.

"Show me."

Ryder seemed to be taken aback but he didn't let it show. He nodded his head after a few seconds and turned to me.

I looked up at him and he was tense the entire time. I flinched when he grabbed my arm but he hardened his grip, forcing me to obey.

"Don't move. I promise this will be quick." He lowered his voice into a gentle tone and I evened out my breathing before nodding my head.

He trailed his fingers down my arm and halted at the pulse in my wrist. I'm sure he could feel how nervous I was right now and my breath hitched when he caressed my wrist with his thumb in a soothing manner.

He continued to trail his fingers down until he grasped my finger in his hand. He pulled a knife behind his back and I immediately went into panic.

I looked back up at him and he gave me a reassuring squeeze before angling the knife just above my finger.

I forced my eyes shut and waited for the moment when the sharpness of the knife would meet my skin. A sudden pain seared through my finger and I hissed in response.

Is it done?

I slowly opened my eyes and Ryder's taut body greeted me. I leveled my eyes to meet his gaze and he was staring at the blood on my finger so intently.

Blood trickled out of the wound on my finger. It leisurely flowed down the side of my finger and rested on my nailbed. I could see it building and building and forming into a large droplet.

Time seemed to slow down as that droplet threatened to fall down on the polished marble floor. It dangled between my skin and the air, and after an excruciating wait, it fell.

Ryder's eyes met mine and instead of meeting that golden spark, I was captured by his crimson ones.

"Liam." As soon as my name escaped his mouth, my blood hit the floor.

There was silence at first, but then, all hell broke loose.

A/N: Just a quick fact: Raegan (The Grand High Master) was inspired by Wolfgang from The king's maker✋🔥😍 Please tell me some of y'all know it😌😭