Chapter 61

Liam's POV

True to his words, everyone seemed delighted to see I was recovered. The residents of the palace looked at me with renewed awe and pride in their expression when they felt the change in my nature. They bowed their heads and kneeled, even when I told them not to.

The legion shared their sentiments. Respect ran through their expressions, but another emotion they kept hidden couldn't escape my new senses. The smell of fear wafted from them, making my nose scrunch up and stare in utter confusion.

When I asked them why they feel so, surprise flickered in their eyes.

"It's your...power, my prince. It's very intense and overwhelming even for a newborn." Cole was the first to respond when we bumped into each other and he swallowed as he assessed me. Not knowing how to reply, I just nodded and let him be.

Knowing that some people are wary of me because of this power makes me feel wrong.

I know that I had to get used to this new...feeling.

Energy buzzed under my skin and all my senses were enhanced, which made me turn at the slightest of sounds and smell. I was scared if I suddenly become thirsty, and feed on someone, or maybe even kill them.

So far, I haven't felt thirsty or hungry for blood. My throat didn't feel like it was raw and dry, just...normal. I could still eat human foods and feel somewhat satisfied, but it doesn't last long.

I know I needed blood, but even just from thinking about it makes me revolt. I can't. I just can't.

A few days have passed and I was looking down at the wide garden just below my balcony. I knew I had to go and do something. Something normal. Because if I didn't, I would lose my mind being anxious over everything.

I wish Chris was here.

He would've accompanied me wherever I went and be a constant presence in my back to tell me I wasn't alone. I would fill the silence with our conversations that had no certain direction and he would answer me with that soft and amused smile on his face.

I once asked him,

"Don't you get tired of always following me? I'm sure you have things you want to do." I asked absentmindedly while digging up soil to plant some flowers on the new garden bed.

"I'm doing it." He simply stated and I turned around, wiping my nose with the back of my hands.

"What do you mean?" I asked. He grinned and walked closer to me so I was looking up at him.

"It means what it means, Liam." He tapped my nose and brushed some dirt off my face.

"See? What would you do if I wasn't around?" I giggled at him which made his smile grow even wider.

I let the sweet scent of the flowers fill my lungs as I suddenly remembered the memory. It was also this time of the day where the sun casts a mellow shadow on the ground.

Shaking my head, I crouched to grab a perfect rose that fell from its stem when I heard hushed voices coming from the hall.

"....Poor thing."

"Be quiet! You know better than to speak of such matter especially when the commander told us not to utter a word."

I thought that they already left because a hush blanketed the space. My brows drew together in confusion when I thought about what they said.

What do they mean-

"I know...but it saddens me to think that the prince is being deceived by everyone around him."