Chapter 65

Kayne's POV

It's been 5 days since Liam left the Castle. It was also the exact same number of how many days Ryder drowned and spiraled into his worst state yet.

He was locked up in their room everyday, either just destroying things and drinking til he passes out. Other times he would go to the bar and asks for the strongest poison so that he wouldn't feel.

If it was up to the bartender, he wouldn't let him touch another glass. But he's our Commander so they can do nothing but follow.

He's so miserable that it hurts to fucking look.

"Alright. This has got to stop." I stole the glass from his hand and dumped its contents.

He gave me a furious glare and tried to snatch it back from my hand, but he was so out of it that he grabbed nothing but air.

Groaning, he pinched his brows together and stood up with unbalanced steps.

"Ryder, look man. I know you're hurting-"

He advanced in front of me in an instant that even I was surprised.

"You know nothing." He bared his teeth before pushing me back and walking away.

"Yeah. But I know that you need to get sober, take a fucking bath and make yourself fucking presentable for once rather than walking around looking like that."

He scoffed and flipped me the finger.

"Looking at you now, there's no question why Liam would've left you." At my taunting words, he stopped walking and turned to face me with murder clearly written on his eyes.

Before he could move, I darted before him and grabbed his collar, slamming him on the wall. My pupils changed color and my muscles bunched as I applied power into my grip.

"Pull your fucking self together!" I growled.

"I might not know how you feel but one thing I'm sure of is that Liam wouldn't want to see you like this. You haven't fed since he left, Ryder." I spat the last sentence vehemently with clenched teeth. His jaw hardened in confirmation and looked to the side.

"Running away from the pain won't fix it. Liam left because he knew he had to face it. Don't embarrass yourself any further." I let go of him and glared.

"If you want to die by starving, then fine. But at least do it when Liam is here so he can give you the pity that you're looking for." With that, I walked away as I relayed the reason why I came in the first place.

"I didn't come here to give you a pep talk. Raegan called for us. He said to meet in the council room in 10."

A gruff response was all I got in return.

Sighing, I hope Raegan knocks some sense into you.

*****

Ryder's POV

The hollow feeling in my chest was enough to bury the hunger running through my veins and scorching my throat. I couldn't see it in myself nor force my body to feed from the blood that wasn't from Liam. I want him back.

I became addicted to him, to his taste, that even I was on the brink of insanity just because he left.

Fixing myself up, I then wore my clothes and proceeded to the council room without any trace of the past days' occurrence.

"There have been many missing reports of humans these past few days. Our contact informed me that cases have been issued in many states." Raegan turned to the screen, a map marked by red dots.