Chapter 56

Ryder's POV

After getting rid of the vampire who prevented us from teleporting to Liam, I wiped the blood speckled on my face and on my clothes.

"Devin, status."

"Commander there's been a problem..." He answered and I could feel the slight tremor in his voice.

"What." I bit out.

Devin gulped audibly before he spoke.

"Liam removed his tracker and planted it on his sister. When I got there, I took the girl, but he- he got trapped with High Master Alisander. I'm about to go in." He said quickly and ended the transmission.

"Fuck!" I growled deep in my throat, and the need to be by Liam's side pumped adrenaline in my system. I was faraway from him, and the distance, together with Alisander's men made me vicious.

My bare hands gripped their throats and snapped their necks so easily. I moved with lethality, and their bodies were nothing more than rags as I threw them in the air and slammed them back on the ground before they turned to cinders.

"Deal with the rest." Without making eye contact, my squad heard the command and nodded their heads at me as I passed them.

My feet had a mind of its own as I sprinted towards the other end of this compound. My muscles were tight with tension, and I tried to feel Liam's presence but there seemed to be a pause before it radiated through me.

Soul deep pain.

It was only half of what he felt, but it made me stop in my tracks. I heard his heart wrenching screams. It was a piercing sound in the wind that rattled everything.

My chest constricted with the pain he felt. It was destructive and I felt it taint his light, his pureness, turning it into something wrong. Dark.

"No!"

I tried to reach out to him but it was too late.

The sky suddenly began to darken, clouds collided with one another as thunder roared above us. It was like a bad omen, a foreboding feeling that something was coming.

I felt it in my chest. Knew it before it came. Him.

Lighting flashed and illuminated the sky before its energy gathered and barreled down the huge tree. As soon as it did, it was like a current zapped through the air.

The hair on my arms and nape stood up, and goosebumps ran along my body. I felt him in my bones and in my soul. Our connection was primal. Feral. And it sent shivers down my spine.

His power was far from normal. I never felt anything like it aside from the time when I met Raegan. It demanded attention and its presence, a scythe of death.

There was a static sound in my earpiece before I heard what was happening on the other end.

"Commander, Liam is-"

"Stick to the walls!"

"We're boxed in!"

"Shit! Holy shit! He's a-"

Screams of agony echoed through the line before it went out. I smelled the scent of something burning, and soon enough, a trail of smoke marked where Liam was.

I ran even faster, pushed myself harder and hoped that whatever happened, I wasn't too late.

As I grew closer, the screams went louder. Screams that I knew very well. I was once its cause and its bringer. Those that can only be brought out by torture.