Chapter 20

Liam's POV

"Good evening Mrs. Claremont. Liam, we have company."

Mom pointed the gun at Natalie and she looked so different from the Mom I know. She stared at Natalie with fear as her hand trembled.

"Liam? A little help here?" Natalie asked and raised both of her hands in the air. I quickly took a step forward and positioned myself in between her and Mom.

"She's a friend. She's the one who helped me get here and escape." I hurriedly said and breathed roughly as I looked at her.

"Oh." Mom apologized and lowered the gun. I looked over at Hannah and thanked the Gods that she was asleep on the table. Mom followed my gaze and breathed a sigh of relief.

"We have company. And it's not the friendly kind. I smelled them a kilometer away from here. They're closing in." She informed us and looked warily at Mom.

"W-What do you mean?" I stuttered and panic coated my words. Mom dropped the gun on the table and cooed at Hannah before carrying her.

"It means you have to get out of here, and fast." Natalie ordered and my eyes widened when she handed me the gun.

"Do you know how to use this? You just turn the safety off, cock the gun and aim at your target before pulling the trigger." She showed me how and I shook my head from side to side, not believing that this is happening.

"Liam, we don't have time for an encouraging speech where I'll tell you a bunch of shit. Do what I tell you to, and shoot anyone who's not friendly." She said and Mom opened the back door for us to pass through. I squeezed Mom's hand as we got out and tucked some of Hannah's hair as I looked at her sleeping face.

"Stay inside the car. They blocked our way through so I'll try to create a path." Natalie told me as she unsheathed her dagger with a hand.

"I'll get the both of you to the car." I said to Mom and Natalie tossed me the keys before running off to the other direction where the enemies were.

We walked fast and steady as we made our way to the car. Mom looked surprised at the lamborghini but it was quickly replaced with fear and worry.

"We have a lot to talk about." She told me as she settled down Hannah on the passenger seat. I gave her a tight smile and kissed her forehead before she sat besides Hannah.

I closed their doors and was about to sit on the driver's seat but a movement in the corner of my eye prevented me from doing so.

I could see figures moving in the shadows of the night and they were about 40 meters away from us now. There was no way that we'd escape without being unnoticed and I thought of the best way possible.

I need to protect them.

I breathed past the fear and swallowed the thickness that clogged my throat before turning my attention to my family. Mom was stroking Hannah's head with her hand and Hannah was sleeping peacefully inside.

"Stay here. I'll put you in danger if I'm with you." I couldn't even think about anything bad happening to my family so I handed Mom the keys and the gun. Her eyes widened in panic.

"No!" She gripped my hand and prevented me from leaving. I could see the desperation beneath her eyes but I also saw the dread.

"Please, Mom. I can't let anything happen to you both. Do it for Hannah. Please!" I begged her and her face contorted with pain before she cried. She pulled me towards her and hugged me so tight to never let me go.

"No! It's too dangerous. Just stay with us here. We can drive our way through, right?" She looked at my eyes and I smiled at her before I wiped her tears with my hands. I shook my head because it would be far more dangerous if we go by car.