10.

___

10 months ago

"the purple one!" i exclaimed while on clinging onto marks back.

"here you go" the man handed it to mark. he had just spent 30 minutes trying to win me a toy from this game in the carnival.

i got off him and snatched the purple elephant plushie from him.

"it's so cute!" i smiled up at him to find him already smiling back. i can't get enough of that smile. so warm and inviting.

he pet my head and guided me towards the food court.

"corn dog right?" he said turning back to me.

i smiled and nodded up at him.

i shook my leg excitedly as i took my first bite. mark was looking at my lips so i assumed he wanted a bite. i shoved the corn dog into his face only for his to dodge it.

"you eat it all, im not hungry" he reassured me and threw an arm around my shoulder.

ೃ༄

"let go of me please" a weak voice pleaded.

the first thing i hear when i walk into school is this, seriously?

i looked up from my locker to see some familiar faces. jaemin, jeno, donghyuck and mark, along with a boy who looked like he could honestly use some help.

"i didn't mean to call your little sister that!" the boy that donghyuck was pushing up against the lockers cried out.

"you know they got the nickname detention dudes because they practically go there everyday" a voice startled me from behind.

"chenle! don't sneak on me like that. and that's such a stupid name, they could've came up with something more creative" i scoffed.

mark was leaning against the locker looking at the boy with little to no sympathy. he glanced back and forth from the boy and his friends, who were harassing him like he could care less what happened to the boy. that's not the mark i know. or knew.

"you thought you could just say fucked up things online and she wouldn't tell me?!" hyuck hissed at the shrinking boy.

jaemin was keeping look out, making sure no teachers were coming. while jeno leaned to the side of the boy, with an amused smirk.

"hi guys" a soft voice took my attention off the group of boys who were down the hall.

"hi renjun" i smiled at him.

"renjun come with me to the bathroom. i need to take a number one." chenle requested confidently.

"why do i need to come with you? you are fully capable of doing it yourself. do you need me to hold your—"

"ahh. ok whatever ill go myself" chenle cut him off and strutted away.

renjun stood closer to me "i like your hair today"

i blushed " thank you" i touched my hair out of nervousness. i mentally slapped myself.

i don't know if he's normally this nice to everyone or if he's flirting. no boy has ever flirted with me before except for one. in fact, none would approach me as long as mark was around.

at the academy i was actually able to make friends because mark wasn't around to intimidate them.

mark let me hang around chenle though. he never judged him, even though he judged every single other person i got close with.

a sudden loud sound came down the halls slowly getting louder and it led me to jump forward into renjun's arm out of instinct.

i twisted my head around to the noise while still in his arm to find mark and his friends punching every locker as they came down the hall. closer to us. their eyes felt like laser beams. burning into us. every single one of them growing icy glares towards us. one was slightly different from the others. marks eyes held the same cold stare that the others had but his had a hint of solemnness in them.

the closer and closer they got to us the more i was actually getting scared. they were known for getting violent and they roped mark into their aggressive behavior.

i pushed myself off renjun and apologized to him.

he nodded but looked ahead to the incoming group of boys with concern.

before i can even think about getting out of the hallway a pair of arms slam against the lockers around me. each arm on either side of me.

i look to the side of me to see jeno had done the same to renjun. donghyuck and jaemin surrounded renjun, picking at his hair and teasing him.

i felt fingers turn my chin towards the front where mark and me would be face to face.

his face got closer to mine. and he looked deep into my eyes. i've stared into his eyes so many times before but this time felt different. there were so many emotions bottled up in his eyes. a storm was happening in his mind.

it made me want to comfort him. hug him and be in his arms again. a place i thought i would always have the comfort of going to.

he looked from my eyes to my lips and i started to grow increasingly flustered and he probably noticed because something between a smirk and a smile was lifting at the corner of his mouth. he stopped it from forming fully and went back to his blank face.

"should i be selfish and take what i want?"

i jumped slightly out of shock "what?"

"or do you still want me to be the good guy?"

the bell rang.

he pushed himself off the lockers, away from me. and turned around to walk away with his friends. i caught that same smile/smirk he was trying to conceal before, forming on his lips when he turned around.

i snapped back to renjun and came up to him with concern.

"are you okay?! did they hurt you" i took his face into my hands and searched it for any scratches.

he chuckled "i'm fine. all they did is tease me. it's gonna take more than that to take me down" he boasted.

i smiled at him "good. let's go to math class"

___