19.

[a/n]
to be clear the start of junior year is when mark and annie start having problems. the middle of junior year is when the incident that is yet to be revealed happens and annie has to leave to another academy. the story picks off when annie comes back for the beginning of her senior year. sorry if it's confusing lol.

___

9 months ago

"mark? are you here?!" i yelled out. i asked someone where mark was and he led me to the back of the school near the dumpsters. why would mark be here?

i walked closer and didn't expect to see a whole secret hideout filled with alcohol and cigarettes. it smelled so strong. mark can't be here. i turned the corner and saw something i didn't expect to see.

mark was lighting up a cigarette on one hand and holding a beer in the other. there were countless beer bottles and cigarettes buds on the floor.

"mark! look your girlfriend is here" i looked up to see three guys who i had seen around mark a few days ago. i had a gut feeling that they wouldn't be a good influence on mark. and i was right. "i'm donghyuck! this is jeno and jaemin." the boy pointed to the other boys with bloodshot eyes and slurred words.

mark looked up to meet my eyes and he looked completely intoxicated.

"annie! i missed you so much" he ran up to me but tripped and fell onto my arms

"mark?! are you okay?" i lifted his head up to take a good look at his eyes. they were bloodshot and he looked dazed. "you're drunk at school on a wednesday afternoon. are you serious?!" i scolded.

he snuggled into my neck and wrapped me into a hug. "mmh can we hug like this forever." he breathed in. "you smell good."

"mark" i pulled back. "this isn't okay. your mom called me and told me to help you study because your grades are going down the drain lately. what's going on mark? you told me your grades were fine, but all of a sudden you're lying. now you're doing this. i don't get it. why the sudden change?." i asked with concerned eyes.

he breathed in one more time and pulled back to look at me, his arms still wrapped around me. "i'm not the only one who's changing annie." he slurred out.

"what? what does that mean?"

he unwrapped his arms from me and grabbed his cigarette before coming face to face with me again.

"you're always hanging out with your student council club and that kid jisung and chen."

"it's chenle" i corrected.

"don't care" he took a long drag of his cigarette.

"they're my friends. i can't just stop being friends with them."

"i was your friend first" he said as he breathed out the smoke, turning away so the smoke doesn't get on my face.

"of course you are, that doesn't mean i can't have other friends." i tried to reason with him.

"it's not that. i could care less about that chenle kid or how close he gets to you but jisung. i don't like him."

"why? he's really nice to you!" i insisted.

"you always ditch me for him and he looks at you in a way that i don't like." he grunted.

"i don't ditch you on purpose. i have emergency meetings that just happen to be with jisung because he's in student council as well. i have to be there. i would still choose you to hang out with over him if it was my choice"

"you don't even answer my calls anymore" he croaked out.

"what? i always answer your calls." i said and reached for my phone to check. i was shocked to see multiple missed calls from mark. it says i declined the calls. that doesn't make sense, i would never do that.

realization hit me. all those times i let jisung play on my phone while i did our work for student council was probably when mark called me. why would jisung decline the call and not tell me? if i tell mark jisung was the one to decline his calls he would hate him even more.

"mark i'm sorry.. mark?" i walked towards him as he sat back down and started looking drowsy.

"i'm tired" he slumped down.

"i think he had too much to drink" donghyuck laughed from the other side.

i knelt towards him and his eyes were closing and opening. i put my hand on his head. "you don't look so good.. let's get you home. i'll call a cab to get us."

i called a cab and then reached to get mark up. i lifted his arms over my shoulders and dragged him to the front of the school.

i brought him towards the cab and gently put him in. i gave the driver marks address.

mark was sitting slouched and eventually his head fell onto my lap. i ran my fingers to his hair and he hummed in response.

"you can sleep. i'll wake you when we're there" i whispered. i looked down on him. it upsets me that we were fighting more lately, on the bright side we always make up quickly after.

"will you be there when i wake up?" he grinned with his eyes half closed.

"of course."

___