23.

___

we walked to the location but it led us to a bar. is he in here? i texted him telling him we're here and asking where we should go now. he replied saying jaemin will come get us.

"here!" a voice called out. jaemin appeared from the staircase under the bar and gestured for us to follow him down.

"come on." i said to renjun and led him down.

we walked into a lit up room with couches and a mini bar. it looked like they hung out here often. it was messy and there was trash scattered everywhere.

"annie"

i looked to the voice and saw mark sitting on the couch with jeno and donghyuck.

"we're here to do the project. chenle can't make it today." renjun said.

"fine. jeno, move so we can do the project." donghyuck shooed him away.

jeno held out a middle finger to him but complied anyway.

jaemin and jeno moved over to another couch across the room and continued smoking.

"chenle already collected some research so you guys can either do the presentation or enter in the writing."

"we'll do the presentation, it's easier." donghyuck mumbled through the cigarette he was smoking. mark suddenly snatched the cigarette away and put it out.

"what the fuck?!" donghyuck yelled.

"don't smoke here." mark's eyes moved up to mine. was he making him put it out because he knew i hated that smell?

"do it later." mark added. donghyuck sighed heavily and leaned back.

renjun cleared his through and sliced through the tension. "okay then me and annie can finish the writing." renjun announced.

"you and donghyuck do the presentation. me and annie will do the writing." mark's blunt voice startled us.

"what? why?" renjun asked with furrowed brows.

"i don't want to present."

"oh.. but—"

"but?" mark challenged and quirked a brow.

"fine. whatever. you better do a good job on the writing and don't make annie do all the work! i'll tell the teacher if you do—"

mark cut him off by slamming his hand on the table. "i wouldn't do that" he gritted through his teeth, "to annie" he added.

i reached to place my hand on top of his out of instinct to calm him down. his eyes quickly snapped up to me and i realized what i was doing, i met his eyes and took my hand off immediately.

he snapped out of his anger and cleared his throat before calming down.

"let's start then." he sighed.

donghyuck and renjun moved aside to prepare the presentation.

i moved towards mark and brought out my laptop. i typed up some paragraphs and looked to mark who looked confused. "do you need help?" he snapped out of his daze and shook his head. "no." he snapped.

a few minutes passed and i saw he completed a few paragraphs. sudddenly the sound of many footsteps caused me to look up. a bunch of people were piling into the basement.

"hey! haven't seen you in a while." jeno greeted a guy. jaemin side hugged a few people who came in.

what's going on?

"yah jeno! jaemin! what are all these people doing here?!" mark bellowed and stood up.

"last minute party! sorry" jaemin yelled over the music that started playing at a loud volume. before i knew it, a full blown party started before my eyes.

i looked back to renjun who looked just as confused as me. donghyuck jumped up and immediately joined the party. mark looked irritated and closed his eyes in fustration.

i began to pack my bag and signaled renjun to do the same. we began to moved towards to exit when mark touched my shoulder. i turned around and he gave me an apologetic look.

"i didn't know they would do this." he sighed. "i'll finish my part and send it to you. and i'll make sure donghyuck finishes his part as well." mark said to us, although he didn't even spare renjun a glance.

i nodded. "that's fine."

"let's go" renjun said and ushered me to leave.

"hey! why don't you come join us?!" donghyuck shouted as he walked towards us from the mini bar.

"what? we aren't allowed to drink." renjun frowned.

"this isn't actually a real bar renjunnie, my dad owns the bar and lets me use the basement, the best part is there's a lot of alcohol." he bragged and shoved a cup into our hands.

"but i don't really don't think we should." renjun insisted.

"oh come on." donghyuck pushed us farther into the party. "don't be a loser."

"besides it's not annie's first time at a party. don't you remember?" he taunted. mark who was silent this whole time suddenly shoved donghyuck away.

"let them leave." mark gritted through his teeth.

"you've been to a party before?" renjun whispered to me. i nodded hesitantly.

8 months ago

mark was laying on my bed with his head leaning onto his arms behind him. i was trying out outfits for the party. i honestly didn't know what to wear. i had to convince him to let me go with him and it was my first time so i didn't know what to expect.

i tried on a knee-length black dress and walked out from my bathroom.

"how's this?" i asked and walked in front of him. he straightened up and looked me up and down. he looked flustered and didn't say anything.

"mark?"

"it looks good but it's cold out so maybe some sweatpants and a jacket." he suggested. i looked outside and he was right. it looked pretty windy out.

"hm.." i went back into my closet and began trying on tops to wear over my dress. it took me longer than i expected because i was indecisive.

"we gotta go now!" mark called out. i quickly threw on a denim jacket and ran out.

"let's go." i caught up to mark. he stopped me "you're still wearing the dress? aren't you going to be cold?" he asked with concerned eyes.

"it's fine! let's go i don't want to be late!" i pulled him to the car.

"you can't really be late to a party like this annie." he corrected me.

"whatever."

___