40.

___

"they want to meet you."

i tilted my head in confusion. "who?"

my guidance counselor lifted his brows and slid a piece of paper across the table.

my eyes scanned over the words and i could barely believe it. there was no way. i immediately stood up and gripped the paper in my hands.

"is this real?!"

he laughed and nodded. "very real. the school board of the college you wanted to go to is willing to give you a full scholarship. all you need to do is meet with one of the college officials and give a good interview. when they contacted me, they seemed so pleased with you already! you won't need to do much other than be yourself."

i swallowed thickly and left the room in a hurry. i have to tell him. i ran around the hallways like a maniac trying to find him.

i nearly tripped on my feet as i searched every classroom. i crashed into someone as i turned the corner. i was about to apologize when i saw who it was.

exactly who i was looking for.

"they want to meet me!" i exclaimed as i shoved the paper into his hands. he was shocked at my excited state at first but he read over the paper. his eyes grew in size as he grasped the situation.

"that's amazing! does this mean you got in?"

"not yet. all i need to do is meet them for an interview and do a decent enough job" i gushed excitedly.

"i'm so proud of you." he held his arms out and i jumped into his embrace. my face was buried into the crook of his neck. he swung me around before setting me down.

"and they'll give me a full scholarship!" i sheepishly boasted.

his eyes doubled in size and he looked down at me proudly. "that's my girl." his spoke as a fond smile rose on his face.

my heart skipped a beat at his words but i barely had time to respond as i watched mark's smile melt away as he looked at something behind me.

i turned to the source and saw chenle and renjun. a gasp escaped me and i grabbed the paper from mark. i sprang over to the boys.

"guys! look" i held the paper out to their face. they read it over and their excitement grew with mine.

"as long as the interview goes well, they will reward me with a full scholarship!" i rushed out.

"woah that's amazing, see i knew they would love you. you didn't even need to be school president to impress them. that's my best friend." chenle bragged.

"you really deserve it, we should celebrate." renjun brought a hand up to my shoulder.

i nodded in response and swiveled around when i realized i left mark alone. all i saw was his back in the distance. he walked away.

didn't realize him walking away could ruin a mood as good as the one i just had.

where was he going?

ೃ༄

"it's on me today guys" chenle wiggled his eyebrows and brought out his platinum credit card.

me and renjun exchanged looks and smiled back at the boy.

"i know a good chicken place nearby, do you guys wanna go? as a way to celebrate our academically exceptional student here" he pointed at me as the last dismissal bell rang.

i let out a light laugh as we walked down the hallway.

"free chicken? sounds great, let me just get my jacket out of my locker. i'll meet you at the front."

i parted ways with them and went to my locker. when i got my jacket i shut my locker only to stagger back when something was shoved in my face.

a sweet smell invaded my nose and i gasped when a small cake entered my vision. the cake was held in front of the persons face and i only realized who was holding it when the cake was lowered.

"surprise." mark stood there with a mini cake in a box.

"congratulations" i read the words on the cake. i couldn't contain the gummy smile that was fighting to grow on my face.

i looked between the cake and him because i couldn't believe he had got me this.

"when did you have time to get this?" i inquired in disbelief as i gawked at the cake. didn't he have class?

"haechan was already planning to skip class so i asked him to pick this up for me." he put the cake into my arms.

"thank you.. i really didn't expect this" i hugged the box close to me.

i only realized how blushed my cheeks were when i felt the heat creeping up my neck.

mark suddenly got close to my face and i moved back as an instinct. he looked amused at my flustered expression.

he suddenly took his finger and swiped some cream off the cake and rubbed it on the skin near the side of my lip.

i gasped and stepped back. "mark!"

"looks delicious."

i stared at him incredulously. my narrowed eyes shot through his aloof ones. i grew more flustered as i grew wary of his words.

i cleared my throat. "the cake is suppose to go in my mouth mark, not on my face." i gave him a pointed look.

he replied with a sheepish grin and held his hands up in defense.

he raised his thumb and brought it up to my face. i gave him a perplexed look as i tried to figure out what he was doing. he ran his thumb over the cream that he wiped on the side of my lip. i felt his thumb brush up against my bottom lip and i froze in astonishment.

"sorry" he broke the silence that i didn't realize we were in. "i"ll clean it up."

he flickered his eyes up to my face while his thumb was on my lip and he grin slightly when he saw my stunned expression.

"don't eat it all at once. wouldn't want you to get a sugar high." he smirked as his hand fell to his side.

i gulped and nodded while he held my eyes in a stare.

he let out a light laugh and took one last once-over of my face before walking away.

i stood there, stunned.

so that's where he went.

things were going well between us, so well that it was starting to scare me. i couldn't help but feel like something was about to go wrong.

___