45.

___

"i don't think we should be in each other's lives anymore." he was short and frank. like what he said was nothing.

my eyebrows furrowed and a look of disbelief crossed my face. "you don't mean that."

i ran into mark's mom while running errands, and she invited me over for dinner. probably oblivious to our current situation. the past week at school he had been giving me and everyone else the cold shoulder. i accepted it and gave him his distance. but we're like magnets to each other and i wanted him near.

i was hoping to gain some type of closure or to figure out what was going on in his mind. i was ready to confront him.

it wasn't going the way i hoped.

was this the concussion talking? because it certainly didn't sound like my mark.

"i do." he quipped, moving to his dresser and leaning his hands on the surface.

"then why can't you look me in the eyes and say it?" i bit back fiercely while staring at his back that was turned to me.

he dragged his eyes up to the mirror that was propped above the dresser and looked at me through the reflection. a steel and cool look in his eyes. one i hadn't seen from him before, that was directed at me at least.

he looked at me like i was just another person bothering him.

"i just think that we grew apart. maybe we're better off moving on." he croaked out lowly, like the words were poison on his tongue.

my heart couldn't help but wince. i swallowed thickly before countering back.

"you were always a terrible liar, lee minhyung."

my eyes shot through his and i wanted him to know that i was seeing through his entire act.

he gripped the dresser in front of him tightly. his eye started to twitch and he released a breath before breaking eye contact with me again.

"you really can't take a hint, can you?" his body was tense, his face growing into a scowl.

a stinging sensation made it's way onto my face. the tears were mere seconds away from leaking out the corner of my eyes. his words were like a slap in the face.

i don't know why he was acting like this, but i know i won't stop pushing until i find out. his words said one thing but his eyes said another. something was peeking behind his cold facade, and it was telling me not to believe a single thing his says.

so i won't.

"do you honestly think i'd believe that a concussion could make you to fall out of love?" the strength somehow made it's way back into my voice.

his eyes flickered back and forth. his head fell downwards and i couldn't see his face at all. he shakily inhaled before locking his hard gaze with me again.

"who said i was in love?" he scoffed plainly.

my eyes narrowed at the boy.

"i may have been clueless for the past few years but i'm not stupid. you said you were prepared to tell me those three words when i was ready. well now i'm ready. i know exactly what you wanted to say to me that day."

he stiffened and he froze. his jaw clenched and unclenched. his nails were digging into the surface below him. he was trying to restrain himself from something.

i needed to push past the barrier he was building before it was too late.

"whatever your reason is for being this way, just know that i'm not going to let it affect me. i've been in your life too long just for you to throw me away like that." i fought back the tears and mustered up any strength in my voice.