42.

___

"you should go home annie. we have school tomorrow." jeno spoke from the side of me.

my eyes were locked on the life support machine, making sure with every split second that mark's heart was still beating and air was still pumping through his lungs.

i screwed my eyes shut and pressed my forehead against mark's hand.

he had just got out of surgery and he still hasn't woken up. the waiting game was excruciatingly long. i just wanted him to open his eyes again. i never knew how much i could ache to see those brown orbs of his again.

i'd do anything just to have him smile at me again, with those apple-like cheeks popping out.

"yeah, we'll be here when he wakes up. don't worry." jaemin chimed in groggily. it's easy to say that all of our eyes were droopy.

it was very late. but i couldn't go home not knowing if he woke up or not.

i cast my glassy eyes over mark's still figure. he was right there, but he wasn't really here yet.

i shook my head and squeezed my hand that held his. i locked our hands the minute the doctors let us in.

i sighed heavily and pulled my phone out to tell my parents my whereabouts. my eyes doubled when i realized.

i missed the interview. for my dream college. with a full scholarship.

somehow, i couldn't bring myself to shed a tear over that when the boy on that hospital bed was consuming my every thought.

i should be pulling at my hair in stress, yelling in anger or whatever way i could cope. another chance i had for my future, ruined.

my head fell in disappointment and despair at the thought of losing the opportunity. but it didn't come close to the misery i felt over the unconscious boy just inches from me.

i pushed the phone away from me, not wanting to see any new notifications that would ruin my day even more.

"mark's parents are speaking with the doctors and they suggested that we all go home." haechan rang out as he entered the room. i noted how his eyes were puffy, and bloodshot.

i furrowed my eyebrows and shook my head vigorously. my grip on the mark's hand only tightened.

"i can't leave yet. i need to see him wake up first." i insisted with a shaky voice.

haechan came right by my side and heaved a sigh. "it's really late and visiting hours are over. only family is allowed to stay." he replied in a surprisingly soft voice, like he was tip-toeing around my emotions.

i clenched my jaw and nodded hesitantly. i placed one last kiss on the back of his hand. my lips lingering there for a bit.

"please wake up so i can tell you i love you. better late than never. " i whispered under my breath with my lips brushing over the skin of his hand.

haechan led me out to my objection. i couldn't even look mark's parents in the eye. i avoided them. they knew me for so long and constantly praised me for keeping him in line and safe. and i failed at that.