35.

___

renjun handed me his juice as chenle glared at his
gesture.

"you knew me longer but you give her the juice instead! why?" chenle gawked in disbelief. i happily accepted the juice and sipped as chenle glared at me.

"she's pretty" renjun remarked. i nearly choked on my juice at his bold comment. he was never shy to make these kind of comments. chenle made a disgusted noise and rolled his eyes.

"what does a guy gotta do to get some juice around here?!" chenle groaned and got up to get himself some juice. we laughed as he stomped his way up to the vending machine.

renjun averted his eyes to me and suddenly became serious. i became nervous at his change of attitude. "annie, i was wondering if you want to go to the arcade today? since we have no school tomorrow. chenle won't be able to come today because he has a family thing but it could be just us?" renjun asked with hopeful eyes.

i hardly had time to think about it when milk came splashing down on renjun's head, some of it splattering onto me. i gasped and jumped back as cold milk came down like niagara falls.

"thirsty?" a voice taunted as we turned to see a fuming donghyuck.

renjun abruptly got up and grabbed donghyuck by the collar. donghyuck only smirked down at him and shoved him off with ease.

"you got some nerve complaining to the teacher about me!" he seethed and threw an icy glare at renjun who had milk dripping down his clothes.

i looked on in astonishment at the scene unfolding before me. i quickly maneuvered past the lunch table to his side to grab renjun's hand before things could escalate farther.

as i reached his hand and turned to pull him away, a hand grabbed onto the same hand i was using to take him away. i furrowed my eyes at the hand softly gripping my wrist. i gazed up to the source and saw mark looking down at me. he looked at me and i didn't even realize i had unconsciously let go of renjun's hand.

"let them sort it out themselves, if they don't work it out then this rivalry will go on forever" he explained. i was lost in his gaze that i nodded before thinking. he already had me agreeing with what he said before i could even register what happened.

mark suddenly pulled me towards his chest as i felt someone brush up against my back. it felt like time slowed down as i pulled my cheek back that was previously pressed up against mark's chest.

i looked up at his face that was contorted in concern at something behind me.

i snapped out of my daze and looked towards the direction he was looking at. that same bickering couple we had saw earlier were now wrestling on the dirty cafeteria floor.

i realized now that mark pulled me to his chest so i wouldn't get entangled in that mess as they tackled each other. he still held me close to him but there wasn't much time for me to swoon at his sweet gesture as my worry grew at the two boys on the ground.

jeno and jaemin who were right behind him the entire time tried to peel the aggressive boy off renjun. chenle raced up to the scene as a crowd had begun forming around us. i moved in an attempt to help renjun but mark's strong hold didn't allow me.

"you couldn't keep your mouth shut and now the teacher is making me redo the presentation and do it on my own!" donghyuck growled as the boys finally got him off renjun. jeno and jaemin struggled to keep the furious boy at ease.

"i only told her how much of a hard time you gave me! you deserved it!" renjun bravely bit back as chenle helped him off the floor.

"just wait for the teachers to get here and i'll let go" mark leaned down to whisper in my ear.

"donghyuck might tackle the boy again and i don't need your idiotic actions getting you into that mess and potentially putting you in harms way" he spoke strictly and looked down at me with a stern expression.

"plus if somehow one of those two idiots accidentally hits you while you try to break up the fight, i'm going to be the next one with bloody fists and they're going to have to take an ambulance home, if you get what i mean" he warned and lifted his eyebrows at me.

i gulped as he insinuated he would punish the two boys if they harm me while i try to stop the fight. his eyes told me to not go against his word.

i figured there would be more damage if i engage in the fight so i stood by his side, helplessly watching as an angry donghyuck was trying to lunging forward as the boys prevented his attack.

mark looked down at me and narrowed his eyes as to tell me to not interfere. he wasn't playing around. i knew better than to test a serious mark and trusted that chenle would be able to help renjun on his own.

teachers finally shuffled into the lunchroom and took the two out. all of us watched on as the principal escorted them to the main office.

chenle ran up to me with worried eyes.

"i leave for a few seconds to get an apple juice and that bully starts beating renjun to a pulp! what the fuck happened?" he threw his arms up in shock. he widened his eyes when he realized mark was holding me.

i moved my eyes to the boy who was staring at me intently. i cleared my throat to get him to snap out of his daze. he just continued staring at me and let go of my arm to reach up to my hair.

"that fucker got milk in your hair" he narrowed his eyes and spoke harshly about donghyuck, the boy who he considered his friend.

he brushed out the dots of milk that splattered on me. my heartbeat sped up as he leaned closer. he used his thumb to wipe the milk that splashed right below my bottom lip.

i gulped and held my breath as his eyes zeroed in on the spot below my lips.

i saw how his lips flickered up to my lips and i quickly cleared my throat to alert him that chenle was right there. he flickered his eyes to my friend behind me and sighed at his presence.

i got the cue that he was done cleaning the milk when he rested his arm back at his side but his other hand was still wrapped around my wrist.

i went on my tippy toes and mark leaned down to meet me halfway as i tried to get high enough to reach his ear.

"you can let go now" i tried to be quiet enough so chenle wouldn't hear. he realized his hand was still grasping my wrist and made an 'oh' sound. he quickly reeled his arm back and cleared his throat in embarrassment.

i couldn't help but notice how cute it was when his face reddened in embarrassment.

chenle made his presence clear as he impatiently tapped his foot. his expensive footwear made a loud noise and i twisted around to him. "hello? no time for you guys to make out can you tell me what happened?"

i widened my eyes and my heart jumped at his words. he doesn't know, but still the words enabled my nerves.

"um wha—" i fumbled with my words as the heat creeped up my neck. i felt mark shift and saw him look at me in surprise out of the corner of my eye. he probably thinks i told chenle what we did.

"i was kidding" chenle rolled his eyes at my bothered state. "let's go meet renjun outside of the office" chenle gripped my wrist and pulled me to the office. i obliged and caught one last glance at mark. he watched on in a blank stare as i was being pulling away from him.

___

thank u for reading<3 pls vote