32.

___

"you can't be serious right now."

"i'm sorry annie please hear me out!"

i yanked my arm out of jisungs grip and stormed off. we met up like i promised we would and sat down at a cafe. i was prepared for him to tell me that mark was lying and he would never do that to me. but all i heard was a confession of his wrongdoing.

i was fuming. almost as mad as mark was that day. all this time, i thought jisung was my friend. and to think me and mark had a big fight that ended our friendship over this.

"you are a wolf in sheep's clothing" i turned back around to seethe at him. i used the same words mark used to describe him. he had a panicked look on and was racking his brain for any excuses.

"i just really needed to become student body president, i genuinely liked and cared for you but my dad expected me to become school president and i wasn't thinking right" he rushed out in a desperate tone. i narrowed my eyes at him and he cowered back.

"i did all your fucking work for you! i was always the one doing our work for student council, and all you did was sleep or play games. you took advantage of me, then you took away the one think i wanted the most. and because of you, i lost the one thing that mattered the most to me" i snapped at the tall boy who was shrinking under my glare. "mark" her voice broke in a low whisper.

i knew i couldn't blame my broken friendship with mark all on jisung. i was the one that walked away first. it was my choice and i know that. i just couldn't help the anger.

"don't try to talk to me in school, don't talk to my friends, don't try to apologize again" i spoke through my teeth, making my words very clear. "and to think you didn't even confess to me what happened after, i had to hear it from him." i felt beyond betrayed. he was never my friend.

with one last cold and solemn look, i walked away from the boy with a guilty expression painted on his face.

i walked and walked. i didn't know where i was going. my thoughts were muffled and i directed a dazed look towards the ground as i walked.

i furrowed my eyebrows at the familiar sound of wind chimes. the same wind chimes i would hear when me  and mark would play in the front of his house. i slowly dragged my eyes up to see that i unconsciously went to mark's house.

it was like an instinct. i didn't intend to come here. whenever i had a bad day i would come knock on his door and he would cheer me up. somewhere in the back of my mind, that habit never died. because now i was here. but i didn't have the courage to knock on his door.

i felt guilty. i never let him explain what happened. i pushed him away and now i don't know how to get him back. i stood there, hoping somehow he would be the one to open the door.

i stared blankly at his flower pots that i helped his mother plant. they were blooming.

i suddenly remembered me and mark planted one flower together, i looked and moved around to find that plant. i found it behind another plant. that same polka dot patterned pot. when i looked up to the flower my heart dropped.

the flower was dying. wilting and drooping down.

maybe i took metaphors too seriously, but i couldn't help but relate this flower to what's left of mine and mark's friendship. every other plant was thriving. this one, the one that me and mark planted was the only one dying.

he doesn't water this one anymore? my heart ached at the thought that he singled this one plant out because it was ours. he let this one die. our flower.

i reached out to touch the flower but the petal just crushed away in my hand.

my heart winced at how easy it crumbled. with teary eyes i quickly took out my water bottle and poured some water on the plant, hoping to salvage what little life it had left.

the sound of a door opening startled me. "annie?" i froze at mark's groggy voice. i had my back faced to him and shook my head.

"no" i tried to alter my voice. "i'm just here to drop off the mail" i closed my eyes at how ridiculous i sounded.

"didn't know watering my plants was in the job description of delivery mail."

___