46.

___

"i don't have a problem with spending time in the library but coming here everyday during lunch? it's a bit much." chenle sat down in front of me.

my head was laid flat against the table and i lowered my music to hear him better.

"you don't have to come here. you can go to the lunchroom without me." i said in a lazy tone.

"we want to see you though." a voice said beside me. i shifted my eyes to see renjun taking a seat next to me.

i didn't respond and adjusted the volume of my music to block them out. they're my best friends but sometimes i just want to hear absolutely nobody.

a few minutes passed and my headphone was plucked out of my ear abruptly.

i jolted up and narrowed my eyes at the culprit. chenle.

"we're not dumb, we know you're trying to avoid mark and that's why you keep going to the library instead of the lunchroom. but you can't keep ignoring us! you don't have to keep it in, you can talk to us." chenle's voice got softer towards the end.

i had been cold towards them for the past few weeks. they don't deserve it. but after mark had pretty much shut me out of his life i've been pretty pathetic and miserable.

i wonder if he is too.

well i wouldn't know, i avoid him at all costs. which was hard since we had a class together. thankfully the teacher had us change seats. so we weren't next to each other.

i promised myself that i would keep trying to fight for us but i came to a point where i didn't know if what i was fighting for was even salvageable anymore. was there even a relationship between mark and i left to save?

i looked between renjun and chenle as they stared at me waiting for a response.

"i'm sorry." a sigh left my lips and i yanked my earphone back. i swiftly took my belongings and left before they could go after me.

"please, don't follow me." i said before i left.

my feet took me all the way to the back of the library and i busied myself at the romance section.

my eyes wandered across the various romance books. i took one book out and glanced at it.

the cover was of a sweet looking couple.

gross.

yeah, i'm very bitter.

i went on my tip-toes to reach for another book that peeked my interest. i struggled to get it. i was about to give up and go back on my heels when a body pushed up against my back. a hand reached from behind me to grab the book i was reaching for.

i twisted around and my eyes immediately went to the book in his hands.

those were familiar large hands.

"this is the one you were reaching for, right?"

ah, that familiar deep voice.