31.

___

mark was looking at me as i looked over his laptop. i was proofreading his part of the project but i was reading extra slow, trying to get him to stay here as long as possible.

even as my eyes were focused on the words, i could see him out of the corner of my eyes, looking at me intently.

he obviously knew my true intentions to prevent him from going somewhere dangerous. he was watching me with a trace of a smirk left on his lips.

"how is it?"

"good.. so far" i spoke.

the sound of mark's phone ringing killed the silence we were seating in. i was somewhat thankful for that, but also worried that jeno was going to convince him to come again.

mark sighed and went to the doorway to take the call. i leaned my ear closer to his direction to get a hint of what they were talking about.

"i can't come. i have something i need to do. you guys can handle it yourself" mark's stern voice spoke to the other line. "not my problem" mark huffed and hung up.

i pretended i was still reading when he came back. we were sitting on my dining table and he was on the opposite end. mark sat back down and leaned his head on his palm.

i heard a faint tapping sound from underneath the table. i leaned back slightly to take a look. i saw mark shaking his foot slightly.

he was hungry. anytime he was impatient for food he would unconsciously tap his foot. i should offer him some food. a lunch break wouldn't hurt. plus, i wanted to try the soup he gave me. my stomach rumbled at the thought of the soup, made by him.

"someone's hungry" mark remarked. i reddened in embarrassment. usually i wouldn't be shy about how hungry i am. anytime i was hungry he would buy me food or cook for me in a heartbeat. but that was before.

"we should take a break.. i think we both need it." i lifted my eyebrows and flickered my eyes to his foot and back to his face. he looked confused at first but stopped tapping his foot when he realized i saw it and knew what it meant.

he cleared his throat in embarrassment and sat up. "yeah, i could go for a sandwich or something, i guess." he tried so hard to sound like he wasn't aching for some food. he was trying to act cool, it was kinda funny.

he began preparing the sandwiches and i started heating up the soup he gave me. he was busy making the sandwiches that he didn't see me boiling the soup. he probably didn't even think i brought the soup home, since he hasn't mentioned it.

"the food is ready!" he yelled as he set the sandwiches down on the dining table.

"okay!" i yelled back and grabbed my soup. he was eating his sandwich and looked shocked when he looked up. his eyes lingered on the bowl of soup for a while. he looked like he waiting for me to try the soup so he could know if i liked it or not. i brought the spoon up to my lips and drank it.

it was delicious. better than the ones i make. i widened my eyes and made a noise of satisfaction. i snapped my eyes to him to see him already looking at me. i saw an unreadable expression in his eyes, like he was trying to mask his real reaction.

"thank you by the way, for the soup and the sandwiches."

he nodded in response and devoured the rest of his sandwich. after we were finished eating, i went back to proofreading his assignment. some time passed and we sat in silence most of the time, with some occasional small talk about school.