13.

___

10 months ago

"mark!" i ran up to my best friend after school. the smile that was aimed at him slowly fell off my face when i saw his solemn expression. he looked mad and upset at the same time.

"what's wrong?" i grew concerned and i furrowed my eyebrows. i reached for his arm to comfort him.

he ignored me and turned away. that's when i saw that he was holding a gift bag. then it struck me. i missed our friendship anniversary.  we get each other gifts and go to a place and spend the whole with each other. it started out as a joke and but then we started celebrating every october 17th. but october 17th was yesterday and i was so busy that i forgot.

"i'm— i'm really sorry" i stuttered. "i forgot because of all the schoolwork and responsibilities because of student council. i didn't get a gift for you" i blurted out. "but we can still hang out today! let's go gets ice cream now and i'll get you a gift tomorrow" i suggested with guilty eyes. i hoped i can make it up to him.

he shoved the gift into my hands. "i waited for you the whole night. i might've stayed there until morning if i hadn't checked my phone and saw that you were studying with your other friends" he scoffed and avoided my eyes.

"what?! why didn't you tell me you were waiting for me?" i said, confused.

"i did. i wrote this stupid letter inviting you to this hideout spot i found. i know you love shit like that. i spent time trying to make my handwriting look fancy or whatever." he rolled his eyes. "i put it in your locker. but i guess your so busy that you didn't see it" he fumed but quickly calmed down when he saw my expression.

"letter? wha— are you sure you put it in my locker? i'm sure i would've found it. if i did, you know i would come. you know that mark." i said weakly. he thought i stood him up. i couldn't imagine how hurt he must of been.

my eyes started to well up. we don't have serious confrontations like this. but lately it's been happening often.

"enjoy your gift" he hissed and walked away from me.

"wait!" i reached for him but he already shut his car door.

"find another ride home. i'm sure one of your other friends has a car so why don't you ask them" he mocked.

i was about to say something but he sped off. i wasted no time and started sprinting to my locker to find the letter.

i started throwing my books out of my locker to try to find the letter. and there it was.