36.

___

me and chenle peeked into the detention room. donghyuck and renjun were sat away from each other. each looking equally as pissed. we were waiting for him to finish his punishment for fighting.  renjun leaned his head on his palm and glared at the chalkboard.

donghyuck looked like he could care less, probably because he attended detention more than class. he propped his legs up on the seat in front of him.

i drew my eyes to chenle as he picked up a call. "okay i know i'm late! i'll be there."

"family stuff?"

"yep" chenle sighed and glanced at renjun one last time. "make sure to slap him on the back of the head for me. what kind of idiot let's lee donghyuck provoke him? i'll admit it though renjun fought back pretty decently, for a high school fight." he shrugged.

i rolled my eyes at his remark and waved goodbye to him. i tapped my foot and checked my watch while waiting. we were suppose to go to the arcade today but that plan may be affected because of this unexpected conflict. i never thought of renjun as the fighting type.

i felt someone slide into the spot next me on the bench. i was greeted with the familiar scent and only figured out who it was when we met eyes.

"guess we both have violent friends, huh" mark scoffed as he peered into the classroom where the boys were. i was still in shock at his sudden presence and jumped back when he reared his head back my way.

"yeah" i sighed. it was weird to be so causal with him now. were we friends?

friends that kiss?

no scratch that. ex-best friends that kiss.

"don't you have to go home and study? you were always too busy to stay back after i got detention. but i guess it's different with renjun" his voice became bitter towards the end. i heard a glimmer of jealousy in his words.

i felt guilty at his confrontation. it was true. i tried to always wait for him after detention. but the mix of the work i had from student council and the disappointment i felt when he got in trouble led me to leave him behind sometimes to go home.

"i don't have as much work now because i'm not in student council anymore" my face fell as the memory struck me. all the work i did in student council for college went to waste because i trusted a boy. jisung has tried to catch my gaze across the hallway but i ignore him everytime.

he nodded knowingly and a silence fell between us.

"why should we wait?"

my head snapped to him and i looked at him in confusion. i could interpret his words in many different ways and i didn't want to get it wrong.

"why should we wait for these assholes? we could leave now and do something." he suggested with a shrug.

"renjun's not an asshole. donghyuck.. yeah anyway renjun invited me to go somewhere after school."

his face fell and a cold look came over his face. "where?" he bit. a short question that would usual sound curious, sounded more harsh than anything else.

i faced him and saw his jaw clenching. he pressed his lips into a thin line and his hands we gripping the bench beneath us.

"arcade" i exhaled. my eyes wandered over his face. everytime my eyes caught sight of his lips, i would feel a twinge of the burn i felt when his lips were on mine.

when i left his house after we had our moment, i couldn't stop the smile on my face. granted we acted a bit awkward we were done and i began to leave his house. we had kissed for the second time and it was still hard to process that i made out with my ex-best friend more than once.