41.

___

"the college official is coming today for the interview. her name is mrs.seo and she'll be asking you some questions but don't worry, you'll do amazing. come prepared during your lunch period okay? and don't be late please, i know your always punctual but this is very important for your future."

i nodded towards my guidance counselor. i was gripping the chair nervously from the second he called me into his office.

"of course, if anything i'll be early." i assured him.

he nodded and dismissed me.

half the day went by and i could hardly pay attention to any of my classes. i couldn't stop shaking my leg in anticipation. the next hour decides my fate.

the bell rang and it was finally time. i was making my way to the guidance counselors office to do my interview. i nervously picked at my fingers out of habit.

chenle and renjun wished me luck earlier today. but there's one person i really wanted to see before the interview. he's nowhere to be seen today. i brushed it off and focused back on my main priority now. the interview.

i wasn't even looking where i was going because i was rushing and nearly bumped into someone.

"oh, i'm sorry." i bowed.

the rushed figure ignored me and pushed passed me quickly as he was on the phone, like he was in a panic. my eyes doubled as i recognized the figure as haechan, what's he so panicked about? i don't even think he spared me a glance.

my paranoia got to me, for a second my mind thought something was wrong with—

"what do you mean mark won't wake up?! you fucking idiots need to call the ambulance! i don't care if we get into trouble, he needs professional help! i'll be there soon." he thundered to the other end of the line.

i felt the color drain from my face. did i hear that right? he was talking about mark.

before i could process what i was doing, my legs started moving towards haechan's figure which was far ahead of me already. my breathing became staggered as i gripped haechan's shoulder and jerked him to me.

he looked shocked and angered that someone halted him until he saw who it was. he eyes immediately softened. he must've realized that i heard his phone call. he opened his mouth to say something but nothing came out.

"i don't need an explanation, i just need you to take me to wherever he is." my was suddenly hoarse and low.

he pressed his lips into a thin line and he looked torn on what to do.

"now, haechan."

my tone was firm and final.

he sighed before nodding and leading me to his car.

the car ride was excruciatingly long. i leaned my head into my hands and pulled at my hair.

i felt haechan glance at me from the drivers seat.

"he'll be fine."

"according to your phone call, that's not the truth. stop trying to make me feel better. just get to the location." i scowled at the boy. my hostility to the boy was clear. i didn't even know the situation, and maybe i was being too harsh on him, but somehow i knew haechan was some way involved in whatever happened to mark.