44.

___

3rd person view

[mentions of stabbing in this chapter]

flashback to last week...
(the night of mark's accident)

it was midnight and mark was lying down on the hospital bed.

his fingers slowly started to twitch as he began to regain consciousness. he cracked his eyes open one at a time. his eyes widened when he saw where he was.

he recalled the last thing that happened and the puzzles all started to fall into place. he heaved a sigh as he realized his condition. he attempted to sit up and groaned at the sensation on the lower part of his stomach. he was patched up but it still hurt.

he glanced around the room, still trying to get ahold of reality. his eyes grabbed ahold of a familiar bag and jacket. those belonging to his parents. they were plopped down on the chairs in the corner.

he came to the conclusion that they must be somewhere in the hospital, maybe getting food or something.

his mind immediately went to annie. he reached over to his phone to contact her. she had her interview and he wanted to know how it went.

he sat there, bandaged up and bruised yet he rushed to see how she was doing. you could've sworn she was the one in the hospital with the way he automatically worried about her.

he did it like it was an instinct.

he called her and his eyebrows pulled in confusion as something on his bed started to ring. he pulled a phone from his blankets.

it dawned on him that annie was here before, right next to his hospital bed. his lips cracked a smile at the thought of her being right by his side at a time like this.

he hung up and kept her phone safe by his side, reminding himself to give it back to her.

he was startled when it startled to ring again. his eyes zeroed in on the caller ID.

renjun.

he rolled his eyes before abruptly answering.

"hello" he said flatly.

"annie! wha— mark?"

"yeah" he replied plainly.

"why do you have her phon— i should've known it was your fault!" renjun growled through the phone. the anger rolling off the boys tongue shocked mark.

"do you know how concerned i was for her?! when her guidance counselor came up to me asking me where she was, i thought something really bad must've happened to her for her to miss out on something this important to her!" renjun hissed, marks mouth was open agape as it rendered in his head.

"you never think about anyone but yourself do you? what did you need so urgently that annie raced to go see you and even ditched her college interview?!" renjun spat fiercely, not letting mark get a single word in.

she missed her interview? for him? his eyes doubled in size. mark could hardly believe it.

mark wanted to challenge him back, he would never let anyone talk to him like that, especially him. but all the information was processing in his head and he couldn't find any words.