43.

___

"annie?" a hand shook me.

i snapped myself back into reality. i was gazing out the window the entire time.

"you okay?" chenle's concerned look shot through me. i pressed my lips into a line and nodded, feigning a smile. renjun peeked over from his seat and gave me a questioning look.

i brought my phone from under the desk. i looked at the screen for the 50th time today. i kept checking my phone, thinking he would text me back.

i had only found out over the weekend that mark finally woke up from his mom. she called me and told me. when i heard those words i felt a heavy weight lifted off my shoulder and i almost cried in relief.

i immediately wanted to go see him but she told me no one could come visit except them. i accepted that and was just grateful for the fact that he woke up.

i texted mark over the past weekend and he didn't reply yet. then again, he is recovering from severe injuries. texting me isn't his priority.

he barely made it out of the hospital and here i am sulking over the fact that he left me on delivered.

the classes chatter soon turned hushed as someone entered the classroom. the same boy i had been aching to see.

"woah..." chenle looked on in astonishment at mark's condition.

"wait wha— shit" renjun cursed under his breath, a briefly confused look was replaced with a panicked and shameful one.

"i didn't know he was..." renjun trailed off, a guilty tone clear in his voice.

i was about to question him but mark stole my attention.

he wobbled all the way to his seat, his crutches tucked under his arm. all the eyes were locked on him as he made his way to his seat. a stoic look washed over him as he scanned the room.

my eyes immediately glossed over, overjoyed and overwhelmed to see him awake and conscious. it felt so surreal to see him in person. a few days without him felt like an eternity.

i watched as his brown orbs flickered around the room. i straightened up to make my presence clear. i was so excited to talk to him again. i raised my hand slightly to gain his attention.

he stiffened when his eyes cast over me. a glint of something i couldn't decipher behind his eyes.

but as quickly as they fell upon me, they left. he completely disregarded me, acting as if i was nothing but another student.

my hand slowly fell back down. my eyebrows pulled together in confusion. did he just ignore me? or was i just paranoid?

maybe this is just because of the surgery. i can't expect him to be all bright and talkative after he got attacked so severely. this was normal.

ೃ༄

"so that's where you went? and you missed your interview for it!?" chenle exclaimed in disbelief.

i sighed and folded my arms. "yes" i replied sheepishly. we were walking through the hallways, about to head into the cafeteria.