4. Not again.

JORDAN’S POV

      A shrill noise from my phone broke the trance Nick and I were in.  I jumped a foot away from him and looked around to find where my phone was.  I was still disoriented when I found it tucked under the couch’s cushion. 

      My right-hand palm still tingled from where I was clutching Nick’s thigh.  I shook myself out of the trance and attended the call from one of the girls in my study group. 

      “Hey, Charlie.”

      “Hey, I was calling to check if you have the material from Mr. Avery’s class.  I think I lost it.”

       “Yes, I have it.  I will send you the soft copy but if you need a physical one, I can give it to you in next group session.”  I answered and finally my eyes fell upon Nick.  He was still sitting on the sectional sofa eyeing me like I was a puzzle.  I averted my gaze when it became too much to stare at him.

       “Um, sorry, what?”  I asked Charlie again because I was busy getting lost in Nick’s eyes to listen to her. 

       “I said that I won’t be coming for the next session.  Can I get it from you in class?” 

      “Sure.  No problem.”  I said.

      “You are an angel.  Bye.  Muwah.”  She hanged up.  I chuckled.

       When I looked up Nick was still staring at me. 

      “What?”  I asked with one of my eyebrows raised. 

       “I can’t help but think that something is wrong with you.”  Nick said after he kept his laptop on the coffee table in front of him.

       “What do you think is wrong with me?”  I asked haughtily.

       He leaned his upper body forward while placing his forearms on his knees before knotting all his fingers together in front of him.  I swallowed hard when I got a peek of chest hair from the couple of opened buttons from his shirt.  I gulped and looked back at his eyes with heavy concentration. 

      “Why are you still with Deacon?”  He asked and like ice breaking with heat, my lust cleared within moments. 

        “Who I am sleeping with is none of your business.”  I hissed and got up from the couch in a heartbeat.  I hate that he makes me so little with a single word as to who I was with.  I moved around him to go to my room and get holed up there forever.

       He snagged my wrist and stopped me in my tracks.  He looked at me with pity.  I hated that too.

       “It’s my business when you are willing to fall in a ditch all by yourself.”  His voice was full of concern.  I felt my eyes sting.  It was like he knew what I was going through even without knowing the full story.

       “Fuck you.”  I growled and snatched my arms from him before running into Amelia’s room and locking it behind me. 

       Sliding down the door I sobbed in to my hands.  My voice was muffled and tears sprang to my palms.  I was a mess. 

…….

      It was Sunday afternoon when Amelia practically kidnapped me to go watch the basketball match happening at our college.  I knew Nick was going to be playing in that match and I also knew Amelia was not only going for Nick but also for Adrian, her childhood best friend and my friend by default. 

       The only reason I resisted going, in the first place is because, the match would bring back some memories that I tend to avoid.  It had been five years since I last watched a match between our school and the other semi-finalist.  I was fourteen and to think about it now, I never was never really interested in the matches anyway.